Performing in Lockdown

Joe Gibson

“One of the great things is that people are getting to know one another in our streams and they are communicating with each other and it’s almost like being in a pub. And they are like, Okay we are going to go to Joe’s stream and meet up with Katie and Melissa and they are going to talk to each other. And I’m seeing this happening, and that is my little methadone to the heroine of music, or that social interaction that we miss. More so than playing, watching those comments come in and having a read with different names, that is so helpful to myself and Kevin, I think, because it is that little bit of social interaction. It does take us out of ourselves a little bit.”

Joe Gibson is a fiddle player, guitarist, and vocalist based in Letterkenny, Ireland. He plays both traditional Irish music and performs with the Irish rock band Sailor Bill. In this interview, Joe talks about his path to becoming a full-time musician, and shares some of the technical and creative dimensions of being a performer during COVID-19 lockdowns.

Joe is interviewed by Katie Powell.