“A power shift is underway, and a tough new business rule is emerging: Harness the new collaboration or perish. Those who fail to grasp this will find themselves ever more isolated—cut off from the networks that are sharing, adapting, and updating knowledge to create value.” Don Tapscott

As much as the above statement is true, it saddens me in a way.  We are becoming more dependent on each other for knowledge and innovation.  Does that mean we always have to be taped into technology to gain that knowledge?  Are we becoming more and more like the cyborgs as we become more dependent on technology?  It’s like an addiction.  This past week we studied the anthropology and sociology of educational technology.  I wonder what will influence our dependence on technology will change how we interact with each other in real life.    Will those who refuse to succumb to the machine be at a disadvantage?  Imagine a world where one wanders the streets alone even though he/she is surrounded by others, they are connected to their ipads, phones, laptops etc.  I think technology may act upon us like the influences of race, gender, age, class etc.  That is, even though we live in the same neighbourhood, we see it completely differently due to who we are.  Technology is starting to define who some of us are and distinguishing us from the rest. I don’t think this is in necessarily for the better, just different from others int he same way being a man is not better than being a woman and as I would argue, being upper class is not better than being lower class.

Retrieved from: http://mrlevine.wikispaces.com/

Comment now!

Trackbacks