The Apple Club

SO, I was a latecomer to Clubs Day. As a result, I spent the half an hour I allotted to checking out clubs in a mad rush, trying to get through the masses of students who apparently had also left it to the last minute. Mostly I just was hungry and wanted to get out of the sardine can that was the SUB. You see, I didn’t really NEED to be there, I was a keener and had emailed the clubs I wanted to join before school had even started. *gold star*
Anyways, in my somewhat confused state as I pressed amongst hundreds of rushed students in an attempt to reach the other end of the booths without anyone sneaking stuff out of my backpack pocket(yes, I’m so paranoid about that readily reachable pocket), I saw these two guys.
They were sitting at an empty table, eating apples. “APPLE CLUB COME JOIN THE APPLE CLUB”
And it was love at first sight. APPLES?? APPLE CLUB? My little Okanagan-fresh-apples-whenever-i-wanted-them heart pitter-pattered.

“Do you REALLY have an apple club?” I asked.
“Yeah! We just go pick apples wherever they let us!”
“Really? Like in the Okanagan?” (an opportunity to go to my homeland in the name of volunteering? sounded good to me)
“Yeah! I guess so!”

Somehow, I imagined this apple club to be the core of my purpose at UBC. Sitting in a circle not unlike the drum circle at Spanish Banks on Sunday nights, everyone chewing apples to a sweet, holy, magnificent rhythm.

I was so excited. I happened to have brought two humongous honey crisp apples from the box I picked up on my last trip home, and so I shared one with them. “TRY THIS ONE!!!” I said.
“She can be the president of our apple club!” the guy said.
And I was so thrilled.

Finally, a club I could belong in.
One I could call home.
APPLES?
A club devoted to the single pursuit of the fruit of heaven?

“Actually, we don’t really have a club, but thanks for the apple!” They said as they packed up their backpacks and left the table.

One response to “The Apple Club

1. AHAHAHAHAHAHA. That made me lols XD