About the Research Team

Laurie McNeill
Chair of First-Year Programs
laurie.mcneill@ubc.ca

I am Chair of First-Year Programs and Chair of Arts Studies in Research and Writing in the Faculty of Arts and a Senior Instructor in the Department of English Language and Literatures at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. I study literature in the fields of auto/biography and genre studies, which means I analyze how individuals and groups represent their own and others’ experiences through different forms of life narrative. My particular focus is online auto/biography, for example, social networking, blogs, and other sites such as Pinterest and PostSecret. My current projects examine the intersection of the digital and the archival in how individuals and communities make meaning of themselves and others on social media. I am the co-editor of two recent journal issues, Online Lives 2.0, a special issue of the journal Biography, with Dr. John Zuern, andTeaching Lives, a special issue of the journal a/b: Auto/Biography Studies, with Dr. Kate Douglas.  I also contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning, specializing in academic writing, the first-year experience, cohort learning, and student wellness and support. I am leading a 3-year project, “Our Cheating Hearts? Changing the Conversation through Academic Integrity Curriculum”: supported by UBC’s Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund, we are developing new curriculum and pedagogical supports for academic integrity in first-year writing courses.

Kristi Carey
Project Manager
kristi.carey@ubc.ca

Kristi Carey is grateful to live and work on the traditional, ancestral, unceded and occupied territories of the Coast Salish peoples, including the territories of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people, Skxwú7mesh-ulh, Stó:lo & Tsleil-Waututh nations.  She holds a Masters from the Social Justice Institute at the University of British Columbia. Her research is interested in the philosophical foundations of higher education and the roles of teaching and learning practices in facilitating more just futures. Kristi currently works as a Project Manager in First Year Arts at UBC.

Current Working Group of Educators:

Nazih El-Bezre
Laila Ferreira
Brandon Konoval
Moberley Luger
Evan Mauro
Brianna Orr-Alvarez
Jackie Rea
Katya Thieme

This project is hosted at the University of British Columbia on the traditional, ancestral, unceded and occupied territories of the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people.  We would like to both acknowledge and share our gratitude for hosting us.  We understand this acknowledgment as an active reminder for us to take seriously how histories and occupations of colonial legacies and logics of racialized violence haunt our institutions, and how we might question and critically analyze our engagements.