Manufacture and Distribution of Natural Gas

I have always been drawn to roles and organizations that have an impact on the people around me. For example, I paved my way through university on a municipal road crew (more pun = more fun), made funding recommendations on multimillion dollar infrastructure projects, and managed relationships and due diligence for collaborative investments in research and technology-commercialization to diversify Alberta’s economy. I am interested in the manufacture and distribution of natural gas industry for the same underlying reasons – not only availability of the end product, but the integrity, responsibility, and safety of the industry has a dramatic impact on customers and communities.

The industry operates within a complex environment and must adhere to government acts and regulations, within their respective jurisdictions. As a result, companies maintain collaborative relationships with governing bodies to optimize their operations within these constraints and to promote the continuous improvement of the regulatory and business environment. My prior experience, with the Alberta Government, managing relationships with corporations, among other internal and external stakeholders, has provided me with perspective and understanding in how governments operate within collaborative business-relationships. I have always been intrigued by the overlap and relationships that exist when operations of government intercept those of private industry.

In British Columbia, there is an increased focus on accelerating development of the emerging Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) industry. The proposed scale, intent on increasing natural gas exports to the Asian market at premium prices, will inevitably impact domestic supply and potentially domestic prices over the longer-term. However, this also presents opportunities in servicing the proposed LNG facilities with gas transportation and storage that necessitates expansion of existing facilities and infrastructure. In order to proceed with construction of this infrastructure, and realize new sources of revenue, companies must seek regulatory approval by governing bodies including the British Columbia Utilities Commission and the Environmental Assessment Office.

Another compelling trend is the integration of bio-methane manufacturing and upgrading into natural gas distribution systems. Societal concerns with increasing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions are driving the development of this renewable source of energy, which is interchangeable with natural gas. Integration of these new sources of supply will require the development of new infrastructure (ex. Upgrading facilities) and in this heavily regulated industry, significant government involvement and approvals.

With five years of directly-related experience in the interpretation and application of legislation, I would be a valuable asset to regulatory-affairs/government-relations within this industry. As a certified Project Management Professional I have the skills to excel within fast-paced environments with competing priorities and tight deadlines. Moreover, my experience managing the evaluation of project proposals, consultation with internal and external experts, and development and negotiation of contracts between government and industry has equipped me with directly-transferrable skills to capably apply both independently and as part of a team.

Euromonitor International. Manufacture and Distribution of Gas in Canada: ISIC 402. April 2013

IBISWorld Inc. IBISWorld Industry Report 22121: Natural Gas Distribution in the US. August 2013.

07. September 2013 by adamholmes
Categories: My Interests and Passions | Leave a comment