Sample Deliverable: Time Constrained Team Collaboration

The Situation

Nearing the end of the MBA program’s Period 2, and core courses, many of our projects are coming to completion. During this time, our team collaboration skills have been put to the test under competing priorities and time constraints. For those of us taking the Principles of Finance course, teams were challenged to complete a sell-side analyst report for a publically traded corporation. We were responsible for designing our own teams of people, of whom we hadn’t already partnered with, and were limited to four pages for our report length – when most sell-side reports are typically 30-50 pages.

“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” – Henry Ford

Complications

• Team members would have varying priorities and time commitments
  • We would not have much of the required knowledge or tools required, until late in the course material
  • Unfamiliarity with group members
  • Understanding and playing to individual strengths
  • Short turnaround time
  • Coordinating workload and discussions
  • Selecting a single company among us
  • Building consensus in our stock rating, data analysis, and interpretation
  • Compiling individual deliverables and building consistency

“I didn’t have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” – Mark Twain

The Result

Through effective communication early on, my team was able to form with complimentary skillsets, quickly build awareness of individual strengths, and develop an effective plan for completing deliverables and meeting milestones. With prior experience mitigating organizational risks, and developing reporting and providing advice to senior government officials – I focused my efforts on our deliverables’ risk analysis, and reporting structure and design. Completed ahead of schedule, our final deliverable can be viewed below.

LULU – Group Analyst Report from Adam Holmes

01. December 2013 by adamholmes
Categories: Working with Others | Leave a comment