Week 9: Commerce, Coercion and America’s empire

Firstly, I want to say that the most interesting part from the lecture at least in my opinion was the important influence that the United States of America had in many countries from Latin American. I think their influence started because they want to control everything, not only the economic aspects but also political and social ones. I need to say that it seems to me, that the U.S. wanted to be seen as a strong country like Spain, if we know a little bit of history of Spain, they wanted to control everything and they had a very important influence in Latin American, even in my country.

I need to mention that many countries from Latin American did not want the United States, this was because people from countries like Nicaragua knew what happened to Mexico in the 19th century when they bought Texas and other territories because Mexico didn’t have other choice so they knew that if they wanted to come to their countries, it will probably happen the same thing. Thats why I think they didn’t want the expansionism of this powerful country.

I was also very intrigued with Alaska, I didn’t know that this territory was part of Russia, now I know why the Russians have so many differences with the americans, probably this fact was an important one, similar to what happened in Mexico with Texas and other territories.

On the other hand, I need to say that for Mexico, United States was also very helpful to our government because they helped us to build part of our economy, the perfect example was the cigarettes where both countries were helping each other to gain more money and for me this was very good because it is a way to have benefits without affecting other countries.

From the Manifesto Politico written by Sandino, I think that it was a very important fight between patriotic people and invaders , local people was very afraid of these invaders because they knew that it will be difficult to stop them after they get there and it was totally true.

Ultimately, it is evident that United States of America in these days is influencing many countries of Latin America, we can see that in Mexico with the NAFTA and Cuba with all these new technology and businesses that are finally coming to this new country.

1 Thought.

1. hi Adrian, I really like how you recognize that the US did helped Mexico to build part of the economy. I personally think it is really hard to recognize the benefits of the many interventions of the US. Maybe it is because there have TONS of violent incidents that one can’t just simply forget. I agree with you, many latin american countries didnt wanted the US intervention.