The Beautiful Lady and the Lady Octopus with Eight Legs: A Creation Story

Image result for Octopus

I have a great story to tell you, it’s the story of how evil came into the world. In a time before time and in a realm before realms, lived a Beautiful Lady and an Octopus with eight legs. They really got on and enjoyed each others company for years. The Octopus would say, “Gosh I love your gorgeous curls”, and Beautiful Lady would say, “well me too, but I just can’t get over how your tentacles combine beauty and function!”. For clarity sake, let us call the beautiful lady Evelyn after my mom, and the Octopus, Magic, after the gift that she soon discovered she had. Time passed in this realm-less realm and the two women began to feel the signs of boredom. Magic suggested that they create something. Octopus are known for being creative and playful anyway. Evelyn thought that was a perfect idea, but reminded Magic that she was the one in fact with the magic to do so. Upon remembering her gifts for creation, Magic began using each tentacle to create a place they came to call Earth. One tentacle for water, one for sky, one for ground, one for light, one for dark, one for animals and and one for humans. Everything was brilliant and worked in harmony and Evelyn and Magic were a part of a new world full of a love, joy and friendships. One day Magic began to feel ill and it was the first time this had ever happened. Evelyn took a good look at Magic and saw that her eighth tentacle was detaching from her body. “Why are you leaving me?” asked Magic to her tentacle. “Because you left me out, you didn’t give me a part of your creation”. With that the eighth tentacle shot off and began dipping sadness and bad thoughts into the ears of the beings that would allow her; the humans. Poison passed on from generation to generation of the humans and evil became a part of every person. That is how evil came into the world.

So. That is my story! I had a dream about it last night. I was thinking about how mystery seems to engender fear and that my fear of the eight legged creature called the Octopus was based on the fact that I knew little about her. Do we fear those whose stories are mysterious to us? Do we detach when we feel we can’t find our intersection with something or someone? And does that separation lead to our darker selves?

Reactions:

The first person I called was my mom. She is very religious as I have expressed in a previous post and so I was curious as to what she would hear. She thought my story was amazing and that I could get a well-paying job telling stories. I told her I am  already an actor, I do tell stories for a living. She agreed. She then told me that she was glad that I knew God, because God gives us the opportunity to choose between good and evil.  As much as she liked the imaginative aspect of my story she also called it a “bad” and “horrible story”. She felt that the eighth leg shouldn’t have done what she did even though her feelings were hurt.

When I called my brother, he was working but was ever so thankful for the five minute break to hear a story. He kept saying “wow” and “that is really cool” and that he really liked the story. How different were those responses between my mom and my brother. What I learned is that for some, the creation story can be an escape into the imagination and for others, a way to reflect on their own beliefs and philosophies. For me, after reading Thomas King’s version of the creation story, I truly question what I believe  and what purpose my beliefs serve in the world. Am I willing to change?

Till next time,

Sarah Afful

Hoare, Phillip.  “Redeeming the Octopus-the most remarkable creature of our nightmares.” Cultural Capital, 20 August 2015, www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/styles/cropped_article_image/public/blogs_2015/08/2015_33_octopus_critics.jpg?itok=Qu7GqqhI. Accessed 23 January 2020.

Rumble Viral. “Tiny Cute Octopus Plays With Scuba Diver” Youtube, 21 December 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PUp-kYQ4k4. Accessed 23 January 2020.

7 Replies to “The Beautiful Lady and the Lady Octopus with Eight Legs: A Creation Story”

1. Hi Sarah,

What a creative story! It was a really enjoyable read, and I was intrigued by your question “Do we detach when we feel we can’t find our intersection with something or someone?” I think that is a pretty common occurrence when at first glance we can’t connect or relate to someone or their experience, as it may be easier to just disengage or ignore it, but I think that stories are a great way of creating opportunities for us to discover these intersections. I think there can always be at least one human experience or sentiment that we all share, and stories provide such a vast amount of opportunities for us to discover these connections.

I was wondering what you think about this topic and how you think we can avoid detachment and instead inspire engagement with those who are different than us?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    -Indra Isita

1. Thank you Indra! Yes I agree with you that stories are a great way to find “common ground” or intersections with others. What I think I have learned is that emotions and feelings of distrust, hurt, betrayal, discomfort, or any painful emotions really, block people from seeing and accepting those commonalities. It really takes a person or a cultural philosophy grounded in sharing and giving to overcome such feelings. For example, with the atrocities Canada’s Indigenous people have faced, and the feelings created by that and passed on to generations, how do they find common ground with nation that can’t heal those wounds? And how do they find common ground with a nation that is filled with people who just want to move on?

2. Wow! What incredible imagery! It reminded me of a painting by Canadian Artist Sveva Caetani. You don’t describe a lot of colour, yet in my mind your store ignited such vividry (a word i’ve just invented for this occasion). I really want to share this picture with you so I will post in on your facebook link, but it can also be found here https://www.expressiveartworkshops.com/creative-counselling/creative-process-portal/sveva-caetani-archetypal-watercolors/. I thought a lot about the image of the 8th tentacle leaving, and reflected on what Indra mentioned in their comment, and your mothers response as well. While I think all reactions are valid, for me it was a commentary on “otherness,” and to expand on Indra’s thought, if detachment can result in self-isolation, and in this instance bad feelings and the spread of hatred and negativity, is inclusion the antidote? It made me think of kids in school who feel discarded, or people on the downtown east side. Could the lesson be that purpose is integral to community?

Thank you for your work! I really enjoyed it!

1. Hi Emilia! I really love the painting you posted. It is all the elements of beauty and creativity that i see in a world without evil. It is also very feminine to me which is interesting. What is feminine? But that is what it evokes for me. Thank you so much for sharing that with me. Perhaps purpose is integral to community and even further peace of mind. The saying that jumps into my head is “the idle mind is the devils playground”. Do we need purpose to keep us doing good in the world? Great insight!

3. Hi Sarah!

Loved reading your story! Because it was about a part of an animal that was neglected, so to speak, my mind went to wastage of animal parts. Foods such as haggis and bone marrow come to mind. These dishes are able to put less desirable cuts and parts of an animal to good use , i.e., they feed people. While I am not in favor of humans continuing to produce and consume meat on such a massive scale into the future, I think that while we still are (hopefully less and less as time goes on), every part of an animal should be used for food so as not to waste it. The Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in people from the Yukon used the entire caribou so as to waste nothing: http://trondekheritage.com/images/pdfs/Nothing_Wasted.pdf.

Having said all that, I was just curious as to what your thoughts are on the future of the human race’s production and consumption of meat, given its major negative environmental impact. I think it may be hard to convince some people who have known no other way but to eat meat their entire lives. No right or wrong answer, just wanted to know what you think!

1. Hey Chino! Very very interesting response and question! I talk a lot about this with my partner and as we are expecting our first child, it makes the impact of mass meat consumption a direct issue for our child. I think our generation can get away with being ignorant and continuing to do what we want and that is horrible. As Greta Gerwig is saying to us all, we have ruined HER childhood and it is true. I believe that necessity will stop all people from eating meat in mass consumption, because the environment will stop us from doing so. I think that our very privileged western way of consumption will hit it’s apocalyptic end and necessity will lead us to a new way of life.
      Personally I am slowing my meat consumption down knowing that I MUST move toward a environmentally friendly diet. How blessed am I to take my time though. I am aware of my hypocrisy.

4. Hi Sarah!

I really love your story! Your story is so creative and has such vivid imagery. The symbolism of the octopus fits perfectly with the story you are telling because they are intelligent and creative just like Magic. I also found your story to be very emotional because your question about detachment really hit home for me. In some ways, I do believe that detaching ourselves from certain situations gives space for darkness to grow and breeds resentment. Yet, it is through this detachment that people grow and mature. In that case, is detachment healthy or is it unhealthy? Does the tentacle ever learn to forgive? Does it realize the poison it has spread and try to rectify it?

Thank you for your story, if you don’t mind I would like to share it with my friends.