Date: October 10, 2018
Time: 5:00 PM
Place: Trail Room
Members Present: Lisa, Erin, Kellen, Alvionne, Sophie, Lindsey, Rhiannon (YAACS)
Regrets (excused): Lara, Claire, Lucas, Rachel, Janet
Last Meeting: September 19, 2018
Minutes Approved: Yes
Call for expressions of interest in Executive positions
- Alvionne will take over as Co-Chair in January and will shadow the co-chair role this term.
- Sophie will be the new Social Media Coordinator.
- Janet will be the new ALA Student Club Outreach Coordinator (expressed interest through email)
Discussion of events
- Scavenger Hunt
- YAACS will partner with ALA for scavenger hunt again.
- Scavenger hunt will be on campus to give students a chance to get to know UBC & campus libraries.
- Will plan for January. Aim to have clues written by December.
- Erin & Lisa will make shared Google Doc with different categories (libraries and IKBLC) to create list of clues.
- Want to have variety of difficulties for clues, with different points and prize levels.
- Sophie offered to look at scavenger hunt she’d previously planned for ideas.
- Branch opening/brunch debrief
- Overall went well, but realized it might be hard for people to join events if we don’t have obvious way to identify that we’re ALA@UBC.
- Could have buttons to identify us (education library might have button maker).
- Sophie will look into setting up a virtual number so ALA@UBC can send text reminders to people instead of just using email.
- October event
- Button making! Will need button machine and materials.
- Plan for the end of October (maybe week of the 24th), not on a Wednesday.
- Erin & Lisa will create a Doodle poll this weekend to finalize time/date.
- ALA Midwinter
- Interest within ALA@UBC but want to gather interest from others.
- Make announcements in classes and invite people to an event to discuss it (same time as button-making).
- Will makes posts on social media to get people interested (Sophie will make an ALA@UBC facebook page).
- Possibility of subsidizing related fees (note: fees are $120 for ALA members, $125 starting in November).
- Not enough time to organize for this term. Postpone until end of next term and start planning process now.
- Should look into talking to a UBC librarian: maybe they can help with planning or suggest UBC library employees who could participate.
- Erin & Lisa will talk to Richard.
Discussion of solutions for disseminating information to new iSchool students
- ALA@UBC will create a shared Google Doc to gather advice for students (similar to course doc on SLAIS Social Page).
- Will have a Q&A section.
- Erin & Lisa will get new Exec members access to ALA Google Drive.
- Will decide by Doodle poll.
Meeting Adjourned: 5:55 pm