photo_web Associate Professor
Department of English Language and Literatures
University of British Columbia
Buchanan Tower 397
1873 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
CANADA

Alex.Dick[at]ubc.ca

Before coming to the University of British Columbia in 2002, I taught at Northern Michigan University and held a SSHRCC Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Toronto. My first book, Romanticism and the Gold Standard: Money, Literature, and Economic Debate in Britain 1790-1830 was published by Palgrave in 2013. In 2013-14, I held Research Fellowships at the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and at the Centre for the History of the Book, both at the University of Edinburgh.I have also published articles on a variety of other topics including popular religion, speculative realism, theory and education, the television program Justified, and Romantic period drama. I recently published with Selena Couture (University of Alberta) a new edition of Richard Brinsley Sheridan’s last play, Pizarro.  I regularly teach courses on British Romanticism and Eighteenth-Century Literature and on Critical Theory and Practice, especially post-humanism and speculative realism. 

Although I continue to work in the field of literature and economics, I have recently expanded my research interests to include environmental humanities, agricultural improvement, and human migration during the Romantic period and especially in Scotland.  I am developing this research into a new book project entitled “The Highland Clearances in British Romanticism: Land, Loss, and Literary Culture.”  I am currently a 2018-2019 Fellow of  the UBC Sustainability Initiative which works toward the development and renewal of an interdisciplinary curriculum around issues of sustainability and environmentalism within the broader university community. For the initiative I am co-editing with Derek Gladwin (UBC Faculty of Education) an Anthology on Environmental Humanities and Sustainability Education. I am also Associate Head, Undergraduate for the Department of English Languages and Literatures. If you have any questions about English programs contact the English undergraduate office at English.undergraduate@ubc.ca