Czeching out Prague

Prague –

Oh Prague – I had heard so many stories about Prague (most of them not appropriate to share on this Prague) so I was curious what the city had to offer.

When I arrived to Prague at 7 am straight off a 7 hour night bus from Poland I was weirdly ready to hit the ground running. I dropped my stuff at my hostel and went out to explore where my first stop was Starbucks for free wifi to carve out a plan (yes super authentic – but no judgement). Afterwards I went on a free walking tour of the old town and Jewish quarter with a company called Prague extravaganza (would definitely recommend as our guide was fantastic!) the old town has gorgeous buildings in different shades of pastel – from green to orange to blue with curving stone edges and carvings that in some cases are hundreds of years old . The history is incredible- with city gates with gates where only a king could ride through, an alleged hand of a thief in a gorgeous church that from the outside looked like nothing and carvings on the walls that hole a story about who used to reside there. The city is filled with curving alleys to provide shortcuts from a to b which look sketchy on first approach but actually held really cool cafes with locals and intricate buildings. The Jewish quarter held so much history with the oldest synagogue in Europe and stories about the neighborhood as it developed over time.

The next day I was ready again to hit the ground running and started with walking over the Charles bridge which is a gorgeous bridge with a sweeping entrance. On the river below ducks and swans hang out waiting for bread to drop down. After crossing the bridge I made my way to the Prague castle which is a compound with a church, castle and galleries (among other things) with views over the city below. Afterwards I walked up to Petrin Park where you can go into the Prague version of the Eiffel Tower (appearance only) and walk up 300+ stairs or take an elevator for gorgeous panoramic views of the city. (Well worth the cost!)

Prague is a wonderful city with so much history – from kings to communism to cafes it tells so many stories and I will for sure return to learn more.

Tips:

– Do a free walking tour with Prague extravaganza!
– Stay in the Old Town (close to everything)
– Eat the Kurtos kalacs which are absolutely delicious
– I found credit card was accepted most places but if you want to go to markets/buy street food you will probably need around 150 Franks per day (conservatively)