Roma

by allisonf ~ June 7th, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Testaccio mercato

June 5th

I arrived in Rome at 8pm. Walked about 5 blocks to my hostel called “The Yellow”, and walked into what appeared to be a raging bar called the Yellow…nope, this was my hostel! Checked in, rented an iPad (for free!), showered and went downstairs to redeem my free drink tickets. Normally you just get one welcome drink of your choice, but I had met a few people in Cinque Terre who stayed at the Yellow, and gave me their extra tickets! Not only that, but one of the girls I met in Cinque Terre told me to go talk to the bartender named Angus and tell him that Trixie sent me. Of course I did this after having a couple free drinks (mojitos and Italian margheritas), and got a few more out of it. Met a lot of different people!

Yellow bartender Angus

June 6th

Regretting the previous night and sugary drinks, I attempt to pull myself together to go to the Vatican before I meet up with some people for a walking tour I signed up for through the hostel of Rome at 2pm. Luckily I met a girl who was doing the exact same thing, so off we went to the Vatican after a few setbacks…hangover related. It was so busy, quite a shock after being in Cinque Terre for 4 days, with hardly any cars. There were a lot of tourists in Cinque Terre, but no lines, unlike Rome. Almost everything has a wait unless you pay big bucks to join a tour. I would love to go back to Rome in the down season. Pizza in Rome is lovely though!

So at 2pm after braving the crowds at the Vatican, bearing the heat as we had to dress conservatively, and going back to the hostel to change as it was just too damn hot, we met the tour guide at Circo Massimo metropolitan fermata. This tour wasn’t your typical pre-recorded boring tour, that everyone gets…which is why we signed up (the tour company is called Roaming all around Rome). Our guide was the co-owner of the company and graduated with a degree in Classical studies and a minor in business – makes sense, no? The tour was awesome, we got the full history of Rome’s creation, myths included…Justin was extremely funny and the sights were a lot more interesting while listening to his commentary and imagining what happened so long ago in these spots. Some of the places we visited were the Palatine hill, Pantheon, Colosseum, and a lot more which I will post once I look the tour up online. Stopped for pizza and gelato mid-tour of course. After the tour ended at about 7 pm, we headed back to the hostel for a catnap and much needed shower. I vowed not to drink too much this night, which was surprising success. Hung out with Aussies and a lot of Quebecers. Didn’t get to watch the Canuckles unfortunately.

Palatine hill

Gelatp

June 7th

Anne and I had plans to go to a market in Testaccio, so we took the metro there after I checked out at 10am. The market was awesome, we really liked being out of the middle of the city and away from all the tourists. I bought a lot of fruit and biscotti! After about 2 hours we headed back to the hostel because I had to catch the train to Salerno at 2pm. On the train right now, arriving in Salerno at 4pm, then I will take a short bus ride to Positano. Checked the forecast, and it is going to be gorgeous while I am there.

I’ve got to say, Rome was a little too touristy for me, and I think I would enjoy it a lot more in the off season…I will definitely be back!!! Right now super stoked to go to Positano and Ischia, and even more excited to be getting closer to staying with the relatives!!

Okay…update:

Just arrived in Positano after 2.5 hours of hot bus rides and winding roads! Ahhh. Quite crazy, the bus had to stop so many times and reverse because we could not pass through narrow points. Not to mention a crazy drunk Italian guy was talking to me and following me, he finally got off at the stop before mine! The hostel here is amazing! People are so wonderful, especially the front desk guy. I am doing a cruise to the island of Capri in 2 days! Holy smokes life is lovely once you get there

1 Response to Roma

1.   Filipa

Hi love!

Gotta admit I’m a little jealous..wish I could travel around.
    Cant wait to have u back! U still look tiny so Italy must have fed u well!

xoxoxo