end of an era

So it ends, I have mixed feelings about this. As I sit here thinking about what to write, I feel melancholic. It’s not just saying goodbye to a super cool class and teacher but also to start learning an IMMENSE amount of analytical reading and critical thinking when reading books. I learned that instead of just skimming through the words and taking the novel at face value, there are so many underlying factors that contribute to an enjoyable read. Every time I turned a page, I read worlds that were completely out of my comfort zone and also some familiar ones.

The weekly blog posts was not an unfamiliar feat for me as I have been in classes with weekly assignments. However, the content of the blogs were something that did surprise me. I assumed we would have to really get into detail analyze specific themes, but we were asked to write about thoughts and feelings instead. This was a pleasant change in pace and definitely not because it was easy. trust me when I say I would sit on my computer for hours and just come up blank because maybe a book did not really interest me. I tried to connect with each text and create the best blog posts to my ability. At first I will say it was a bit rocky, but I think in the end I really got the hang of it.

Moving on the actual class time, the class felt more of a discussion than a lecture which I know was what the professor was going for. This style of teaching really resonated with me because I loved hearing other peoples point of views and seeing whether it matched with mine or maybe that I was completely off base. Now I am not a huge fan of talking in class, but I do think that this class brought mw out of my shell a bit. Also, some of the themes in this book related to the study of psychology, such as Thanatos, and I was super excited that I could relate something outside of this class to this class.

So all in all, I think RMST 202 was a class I will remember for a long time. If I could I would retake it over and over and read as many books as possible. At the beginning of this class I wrote that I read more non-fiction fantasy/ romance books. The genres we read in this class were very unfamiliar to me, but I now can’t wait to buy more and read all the books I was not assigned to in this course. Thank you!

2 thoughts on “end of an era

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

“I learned that instead of just skimming through the words and taking the novel at face value, there are so many underlying factors that contribute to an enjoyable read.“ I loved reading this. Sometimes searching for and finding those small details makes us enjoy novels much more, but it is true that we do not always have the necessary mental state to do so. I hope you continue to find interesting reads! And enjoy your summer 🙂

2. Hailey

Hi! At the beginning, I felt the exact same way about the blog posts! At first, because it was pretty open ended, I felt confident about what I could produce, but when a book was not an enjoyable read for me, that weeks’ blog post felt impossible to write. But as time went on, I also found that I got better at it!