Over the course of the past two semesters in ASTU, we have examined several texts and scholarly articles that have changed my perspective on the importance of autobiographies in society. Many of these texts, such as Cockeyed, Persepolis, Missing Sarah, and I, Rigoberta Menchu, all challenge traditional hegemonic discourses in order to bring awareness to issues of importance. As stated by Couser, “autobiography may be the most accessible of literary genres… it seems to require only that one have a life – or at least one considered worth narrating – and sufficient skill to tell one’s own story.” (31). This accessibility has allowed marginalized groups to utilize this genre, giving them an opportunity to change perceptions and have their voices heard.

The potential of autobiographies can be seen with the impact of Rigoberta Menchú’s testimonio. Her narrative documented the plight of the Guatemalan Quiché Indians and the violence suffered at the hands of the government. This testimonio, in combination with Menchú’s activism, would garner world-wide attention that would help result in the end of state sponsored massacres and greater respect for the Mayan culture (Schaffer and Smith 17).

Another text that had a significant impact on me this semester was Ryan Knighton’s Cockeyed. This memoir described the challenges of blindness and disability; it was an eye-opening experience to be able to understand disability from his perspective. For instance, Knighton recounts the difficulty of accepting his decline in vision and the label of being “blind”. He talks about the denial of his condition and the fear of being associated with others who were visually impaired. I think the most poignant thing for me was Knighton’s realization that being blind did not distinguish the individual and that he did not have to define himself as part of a certain social group solely due to being blind. His insight allowed me to understand that we shouldn’t let one’s disability overshadow the individual, and that those with disabilities do not wish to be labelled and confined to a singular identity within society.

I found that studying counter-hegemonic texts such as these made me re-evaluate the way I perceived autobiographies. These stories challenge dominant narratives in society which are constructed for the benefit of powerful groups, allowing insight into alternate perspectives. I have come to appreciate the importance of diversity in discourse, learning to examine the origin or purpose of these texts with a more careful eye. The work we have done this year in ASTU will continue to benefit me throughout my time at UBC, as I have come away from the course with many valuable skills and lessons.

Couser, G. T.“Signifying Bodies: Disability in Contemporary Life Writing.” University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 2009.  doi:10.3998/mpub.915367.

Schaffer, Kay, and Sidonie Smith. “Conjunctions: Life Narratives in the Field of Human Rights.” Biography: an interdisciplinary quarterly (Center for Biographical Research, Univ. of Hawaii, Honolulu), vol. 27, no. 1, 2004, pp. 1 – 24.