Abusing the Obese

by angustodd ~ January 21st, 2013. Filed under: Course directed.

In North America, nearly 70% of adults are overweight, and that number is constantly on the rise. Consequently there is an ever increasing number of products and services that promise to deliver quick, easy, and effective weight-loss to those who need it. There is certainly nothing ethically wrong with trying to help people improve their heath and lifestyle… and if you are able to make a profit while doing so, more power to ya! Having said that, in effort to turn a profit on their product or service, companies walk the very thin line that is ethical marketing.

Take for example this advertisement for the ‘Bowflex Treadclimber’.

Sure this workout machine might be able to help people lose weight, but by putting models on the Treadclimber who are clearly doing more physical exercise than just using this machine, is Bowflex unethically and falsely bolstering its claims about the the potential results that come from using the Treadclimber?

Granted, it might not be wrong for Bowflex to put a fit man or women on one of their products to help convince people that the best thing for them is the Treadclimber, but making blatantly false claims about the results of a product is undoubtedly unethical. In the documentary “Bigger, Faster, Stronger” director Chris Bell helps bring to light techniques sometimes used to help sell weight-loss supplements. This clip about before and after pictures shows just how unethical some marketing can be.

While there probably always be some unethical marketing in our society, hopefully this will prompt you to question the motives and realities behind the many forms of marketing that you consume on a daily basis.

2 Responses to Abusing the Obese

1.   jaimereston

I completely agree here. Seeing weight loss being marketed as some quick and easy fix to a life-long problem is an entirely false claim preying on people’s desires to have those bodies without experiencing the discomfort of working out.
    I always love seeing ad’s like this nike on come out, showing that it’s not something quick and easy to fix. It’s hard, it hurts, and that’s how it should be.

http://youtu.be/LsXRj89cWa0

2.   Lauren Telford

Hi Angus,

I really enjoy your post! I have to be honest when I say that I have not considered your points (about the models doing more than using the machine for their fitness) beforehand. I am very interested in fitness and play a lot of sports, so your comments will resonate with me!

-Lauren