Marketing and Sex

I read a blog post by my fellow team member, Nancy Huang, about the use of sex appeal in marketing. This topic reminded me of an article that I recently read, which talks about the growing trend in Japan of companies rent advertisement space on young Japanese women legs.

Advertising legs

The article mentions that this marketing idea was based on the notion that “a good advertisement should be put where everyone’s eyes are drawn”. Basically, these women will wear short skirt or shorts and get their legs stamped with an advertisement. They must keep it on for at least 8 hours per day and post a picture of themselves with the ad on their leg to their social network account (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc). However, it  also mentions that only women above the age of 18 can participate.

In her post, Nancy explains that such promotional tactic becomes unethical when it shows too much objectification. The advertisement has crossed the line when it treats a certain gender as an object only to sexually attract its target market. Not only would this seem rude to some norm and culture, but it also has been increasingly attributed towards lowering self-esteem and increase body-image issues especially to the vulnerable teens and children demographic. I personally believe that the negative impact of unethical sexual marketing can also damage the company’s reputation. The association of a company’s brand or product to poor sexual advertisement can lead the company towards a deteriorating reputation as it is deemed unprofessional, which then leads to a loss in the public’s trust and a potential PR crisis.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2281826/Enterprising-firms-rent-ad-space-young-Japanese-womens-bare-legs.html

One response to “Marketing and Sex

1. Hi Anisa, thanks for reading my blog post! I never knew of such a practice in Japan. That is actually really creepy…