Failed advertisement?

Have you ever crossed upon an advertisement that you just don’t quite get it? Have you ever found an advertisement’s message to be unclear or with a confusing direction? That’s how I felt when I watched this video from Amazon promoting its Kindle Paperwhite e-reader.

In the video, a man is seen struggling to read through his Kindle at the beach as the screen lighting does not adjust automatically for the outdoor sunlight. Then a woman walks in and showed then new Kindle Paperwhite would be the best solution for him because the built-in light feature is makes the device suitable for reading at the beach. However, after the man purchased the new Kindle and suggested to celebrate it together with the woman, she hinted at him that she has a husband and in return, the man also told her that he has a husband too.

I completely understand the product Amazon is selling. But I have to agree with what AdWeek said. Why does the video suddenly have a reference to the gay community? There’s really nothing wrong with that. But the placement of the reference in this video seems a bit out of place as the video’s purpose becomes blurred between trying to sell a new product or building Amazon’s image to the public. Plus, since the reference was very short and placed towards the end of the video, it made it seem like the reference was ‘forced’ into it so the idea didn’t flow well with the video plot. Thus, one thing I learnt from this video is, make sure an advertisement does not have too many messages that it tries to deliver.

Source: http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/amazons-gay-kindle-spot-nice-surprise-or-little-forced-147758