First Nations Are Always Right

Article: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Unilateral+park+declared+Tsilhqot+includes+Prosperity+mine/10192766/story.html

Whenever the First Nations need something or do not approve of something they are usually given what they please. No matter what the matter is, it seems as though nobody wants to upset them. In some cases I’m sure that the First Nations make pretty good cases and receive what they deserve. On the other hand though, I’m sure there is instances where they do not make good arguments and still get what they want because nobody wants to go against them. I am a person who believes that one should only get something if they truly deserve it.

On September 11th, 2014 there was an article in the Vancouver Sun titled “Tsilhqot’in set to declare site of New Prosperity mine a tribal park.” Just from reading the title I noticed that this was another story about the First Nations complaining about some companies project that is supposed to be built on a specific piece of land. Stories like this seem to always involve First Nations people if you ask me. To be specific, Taseko Mines Ltd planned on opening a mine on the land that they own around Fish Lake (near Williams Lake). The Natives, who have “long opposed” the mine, have suddenly decided to make this land part of their Tribal Park. This would mean that the mine would not be permitted in the area it originally planned on occupying. The area of the mine was recognized by the courts as out of the Tribal Park boundary. Despite that, the natives still decided to expand the park boundary into the mine site.

These types of situations are what is happening in these native disputes. They believe that they are entitled to the land and have outright power in the situation. When they do this, the companies they are fighting against are losing big deals and lots of money. Taseko Mines Ltd had planned this $1.1-billion New Prosperity copper-gold project and now they do not know the future of it. Since the natives disputed their business plan they have no way out really. The future of the project ultimately lays in the natives hands which is not good for the company. I feel that it is not right for the natives to just declare the land as part of their own park. Taseko had a development plan in place and put large amounts of time and money into creating it. Now all that work is for nothing and its all over for them. Just like that? How are the natives able to do that? I do not think that they should have that much control in the outcome of the situation. There is really no way for Taseko to work around this. Their business plan was ruined. The natives cannot just declare the land theirs and expand their boundary without giving Taseko a chance to defend itself. The problem is that it seems as thought they can, and everyone seems to just let them continually do it.