Hello world-This is Me

Hello!

I am a third year Geography student who is excited to learn about the discourses and stories surrounding the land that we live on. I live in the beautiful Okanagan valley and have different stories from people that I grew up with around the life we grow up here with which made me want to engage even further with stories about the Canada we live in. The article “Pushing Comfort Zones: Promoting Social Justice Through the Teaching of Aboriginal Canadian Literature” is a great piece that gives case studies on the effectiveness and change that happens in classrooms when teaching beyond the provided Western literature. This article is one of the many that I found helpful in demonstrating the importance of the written word.

ENGL 470A Canadian Studies is a course created to discover Canadian literature and linking together both European and Indigenous discourses. The impact of stories and literature are examined in a way to delve into what it means to live in Canada. This will be explored through learning about the different themes behind the stories. These can include whose stories are not being told, whose voices are the most prominent, and where are the stories coming from. Us students in the class will gain skills in learning how to recognize overarching themes in the literature, such as classism or colonization. One particular objective that I am looking forward to attaining is learning how to recognize symbols and narratives that are not Western thought.

CHANGETHE-WORLDThis photo reminded me of the power of words. We all possess the capacity to change stories and change misrepresentations with what we say and what we do. When we actively pursue telling and sharing stories and literature, we add the the collective voice of Canada. Spoken word poet Shane Koyczan discusses in his poem “This is my voice” the power of one’s story. By taking courses that challenge the who, the where, and the why of Canadian literature and combining both Indigenous and European writings, we are better equipped to help shape future Canadian societies and change ourselves.

My expectations for the course is that I will not only engage with literature and stories, but I will be engaging with my fellow students that all bring forward different perspectives and opinions. As one of the course objectives concern is to understand the position of Canadian literature currently and to offer ideas and solutions for problems for the future, I would like to have a concrete foundation in Canadian literature to give guidance and suggestions for future policy makers, writers, and teachers. Offering wisdom and advice for the future is one of the most important things scholars can do, the passing of information and knowledge only leads to a  better informed and knowledgeable society as a whole. Knowledge is power and those who possess a wider knowledge of Canadian literature will have impact far beyond the course but will extend into their individual conduct and studies.

Sources Used

amberrhowe. “Shane Koyczan-This is my Voice.” Online Video. Youtube. Youtube, 11 Mar. 2013. Web. 12 May. 2015.

Elaine Chang. “The Power of Stories.” UBC Blogs. University of British Columbia. Internet Blog. 12 May. 2015.

Wiltse, Lynne, Ingrid Johnston, and Kylie Yang. “Pushing Comfort Zones: Promoting Social Justice through the Teaching of Aboriginal Canadian Literature.” Changing English 21.3 (2014): 264-77.

11 Thoughts.

1. Hi Alyssa, your blog looks great and thank you for the introduction. One note, see how this page has the title Sample Page – you want to edit that to a more appropriate title. Thank you for the links 🙂

2. Hey Alyssa,

I love how you phrase the importance of knowing “the W’s” of Canadian literary identity and allowing our shared stories inform and push social change and awareness!
    I’ve spent many a summer (and occasionally other seasons) in the Okanagan and it certainly is a region that inspires a real geographic link to national identity. I always feel so protective of the lands up there in a way that’s lost to me when I return Vancouver; I wonder how much of this is related to how quickly things change in the city versus the gradual progression in the interior.

You’re the second person to reference Shane Koyzan’s poetry in their introductory blog – there must be something in his voice that reflects an image we associate Canada to. (When he speaks of being bullied – do we project our own political struggles with the US? Are we, like him, finally speaking up?)

Can’t wait to hit the books and really dig into the material of this class!

Jamie.

3. Hi Erika,

thank you so much for reading it. I enjoyed creating it! I (think) I have fixed the Sample Page heading, fingers crossed. Thank you for your links and blog, it is very helpful!

4. Hi Jamie!

I loved your blog!

Yes I think the Okanagan has a particular connection to our natural landscapes, something that I have found exists in other cities but not to the same extent. Growing up we all spent hours outside so I think its a natural thing up here to want to protect where you play. Some of the local literature on the history of the Okanagan talks about this and I find it very fascination. Your point to if relates to the pace of the changes surrounding us, I agree completely with. I think up here because change is a little slower and life is at a bit of a slower pace, drastic changes to the environment and our physical surroundings are noticed at a higher extent. It is local news if a new building gets put in place, whereas I believe that would not be a focus necessarily in other cities. Thank you for the connection!

I think Shane Koyczan’s appeal (I have seen him live twice and loved it) is that he talks about the uncomfortable while simultaneously making you feel at home. I believe that people feel that regardless of where your home is in Canada. I do think as well that our struggle with having a unique identity from the US and having their media and national identity an extension of our own, that true Canadian poetry and literature reminds us of the themes present while being Canadian, such as our political struggles with the US. It will be interesting to see what thoughts the literature we will study in class will provoke for us!

Alyssa

5. Hey Alyssa, I love your thought about recognizing symbols in stories. That’s a great point because no matter what culture we’re from, symbols and tropes are rampant in all our stories. Recognizing symbols could then be a way to connect ourselves with the unfamiliar, to recognize the commonalities we have with cultures that are quite different from ours and appreciate them. This is especially true with indigenous stories, I believe, because we’re so saturated with the colonialist American/Eurocentric narrative we often forget there is anything else! And when we do get reminded…we often dismiss things like indigenous literature as the unfamiliar, the other, the strange and foreign…when they’ve been where we’ve been standing for thousands of years!

Looking forward to studying with you this summer 🙂

– Char

6. Hi Alyssa,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your introduction. Thanks for leading in with a personal narrative. I know the personal is a very important place to start in the deconstruction of colonial narratives. You said that you are eager to explore and “learn how to recognize symbols and narratives that are not Western thought.” I would posit that this one of the most important skill sets. I think that anti-colonial analysis is the key to unearthing forgotten and discarded narratives of the oppressed. Canada has a history of burying the narratives of our Indigenous people. I am similarly interested in gaining more tools for this type of work.

Perhaps, it is that I am heading into my fifth year, but I am slightly jaded that we can make a difference. My literature studies and GRSJ studies have left me in a state of anger and passivity. I do agree that this type of work ignites new ideas, but I’m unsure if we can change the course of the future. However, I’m inspired by your inspiration.

Happy reading! Looking forward to future conversations together.

Hannah

7. Wow – Nail on the head with that comment on Koyczan talking about the uncomfortable while making you feel at home. That’s the best way I’ve ever heard his stuff described.

Excited to read more from you!
    -J

8. Thank you for your comments!
    I completely agree with your comment that we often dismiss Indigenous literature as ‘other’ and that we need to recognize the historical and social importance of these. Looking forward to reading your blog!

9. Hi!

I think that people like yourself with a strong education in GRSJ and literature studies are the best people and most equipped to make a change. Change starts inside of us and I have no doubt of it spreading as long as we share it with other people. It can be hard though.

Thank you for reading!