The Old Gringo by Carlos Fuentes

This week’s reading on Carlos Fuentes’ The Old Gringo wasn’t at all what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be almost something similar to an autobiography like last week’s read of W, or Memory of Childhood. Although, I was much happier reading something that wasn’t an autobiography. I found this story really intriguing because of the love triangle. Although, I initially found it confusing at first to understand the type of relationships. After watching Professor Murray’s lecture, it made sense of bond between the old gringo and Harriet was pretty much parental as Harriet buried him like she would’ve for her father.
The lecture also highlighted some questions, “what is the effect of this repetition? Why this insistent return to the same phrase? Does it function in different ways at different times”? I found the effect of repetition of the statement “[n]ow she sits alone and remembers” to make it stand out to the readers the significance and that Harriet continues to review the past. I think she continues to reflect on this trauma because she is the only one of three that is still alive. I liked how Professor Murray stated, “repressed trauma returns to haunt the present”. I think that statement can connect to a lot of the previous books that we’ve already read. The first book I thought of was Laforet’s Nada as the main character reflects on her life even on her death bed. The repetition of the statement “[t]he old gringo came to Mexico to die”, addresses one of the questions Professor asked. The use of repetition of this statement made me reflect that maybe this was used to foreshadow events to come. Even though death kept being mentioned for the gringo’s future, I thought there was going to be a twist for the reader. Overall, I thought this statement for me helped me visualize the scene and the tense atmosphere between the old gringo and General Tomas Arroyo.
The lecture video also explained that the old gringo is actually based on someone, Ambrose Bierce. I was totally surprised to learn this since I initially thought this was going to be an autobiography but then it wasn’t and now, I learned it was based on an actual person. The video also elaborated on Bierce’s Devil’s Dictionary. I thought the definition of love was something that really stood out to me. “Love- A temporary insanity curable by marriage”.

The question I pose to the class is, why do you think Fuentes was inspired by Ambrose Bierce?

5 Replies to “The Old Gringo by Carlos Fuentes”

1. “The first book I thought of was Laforet’s Nada as the main character reflects on her life even on her death bed.”

Good point, but I think you mean Bombal, right?

2. Hi!! Thanks for the blog post! I really liked your comparison to “Nada”, I didn’t think of the connections but the themes of memory and trauma are very similar in both! I also found the lecture really helpful to contextualize the text and make it easier to understand. I don’t know a lot about Ambrose Bierce, but I do know that he mysteriously disappeared in Mexico. I guess Fuentes wanted to fill this mystery with this book. Thanks!

3. Hi, nice blog post! I also think the reason why Fuentes repeats the line throughout the novel is due to the fact that Harriet Winslow is constantly reflecting and learning from her experience. Her trip to Mexico to her is a life-changing experience that not only shattered her fantasy about finding what she wants in her life but also made her witness the brutality of human nature. In particular, the repeated execution of Ambrose is moment she realises that escaping from reality doesn’t necessarily mean that she would end up in a better place.

4. Hey!

I agree with your idea of trauma and how she is reviewing the past, as the only person who can. In that sense, it reminded me of the shrouded woman as well! (I referenced both in my post), as themes of reflection and trauma are definitely present in the novel. I think it’s also layered on the trauma each of the three characters in the novel had prior to meeting, from what prompted them to run and seek another life.

– Nandita