Amulet by Roberto Bolaño

This week’s reading was on Amulet by Roberto Bolaño. I was intrigued by the very first words in this book, “[i]n our misery we wanted to scream for help, but there was no one there to come to our aid” (Pertonius). This seemed like a very dark start compared to the previous book’s we’ve analyzed. Along with the first page starting with “[t]his is going to be a horror story. A story of murder, detection and horror” (p.1). I expected something completely different when i read the word murder and horror. I really enjoyed this book’s narrator. She said after this statement, “[b]ut it won’t appear to be, for the simple reason that I am the teller” (p.1). Initially, I was quite confused by what that entailed, but as the story went on her personality lighten the mood. I immediately read the narrator, Auxilio Lacouture with a rambling, humourous tone. This statement made me think of that was “[a]h, it makes me laugh to think about it now. It makes me want to cry? I saw it all and yet I didn’t see a thing. Am I making any sense?” (p. 22) Another moment that caught my attention of Auxilio’s personality was when she was remembering meeting Arturo’s mother for the first time (p.39). Overall, I found it really interesting how the author captured a female ‘s narrative through this character.

Auxilio’s experience of being trapped in the bathroom is something unimaginable. While reading this statement I felt the sense of panic and overwhelmed by varying emotions that she must’ve been feeling alone.

“But, Hey, I said to myself, all I need now is for it to be cold and a beret to drop on my head, and then I heard a voice saying something like, All clear, Sir, and five seconds later, someone, maybe the son of a bitch who had spoken before, opened the door of the bathroom and came in” (27).

After watching the lecture and reading the lecture transcript, I gathered why Auxilio was in this position. I’m used to the previous books we’ve read having an introduction especially if based off true events. I also found it really fascinating to have the lecture video feature a guest speaker, Ryan Long. I was really intrigued by the fact he shared, this author tends to reference his other books then you can make further connections of the characters or plots as you reread his novels.

Since the class discussion about The Time of the Doves’ title, I have been trying to analyze the significance behind them. So, my question I pose to the class is, why do you think Bolaño chose amulet as the title of this book? Do you think there’s another title that would be better suited?

2 Replies to “Amulet by Roberto Bolaño”

1. Re: your question – Great connection to our readings, and great question for this week! You will see that I have added your question to our list of possible discussion topics here (https://rmst202.arts.ubc.ca/bolano-questions/) and that Jon also has this on his list (#9). I look forward to discussing on Tuesday and/or Thursdsay!

2. Hi Arielle! I really enjoyed reading your post on this weeks story. I agree, I feel as though overall this novella was much darker than the others we have been reading. Even just some of the language used (such as curse words) stuck out to me, which makes me feel as though other stories must have not had such dark content. To your question, I think Amulet is a fitting title for the story, as at the end of all of it, the narrator does not seem to look back on anything with regret or distaste, and it seems as though she appreciates that even after everything, people are able to come together, by use of an amulet that they can all share. Maybe there could have been something better, but I personally cannot think of one.