OVO FEST 2011

So on July 31, 2011, I had the privilege of attending Drake’s annual OVO Fest in Toronto. Now this show has been sold out for 2 months, and I didn’t have any tickets. On ticketmaster it showed that there were a few seats, but nothing less than $300 for mediocre seats, but they were only selling pairs. I am Drake’s biggest fan, and I was determined to atleast be at the venue and see him. I went to venue like 5 hours before the show, and was told by the lady at the box office that site I was on was a scalpers website, and that tickets had been sold out for 2 months. So be careful when going on ticketmaster that your pop blocker is on, or else you may be redirected to a scalper website.

Anyways she told me that there MAY be releases, and if I wanted a chance I would have to stay at the box office, and that there was a guy ahead of me waiting. So 1.5 hours later there was a release and the guy ahead of me got two tickets. All I could think was ‘why couldnt he get one!’ Well 2.5 hours later there was another release and I got tickets! The ladies at the box office said they fought for me to get the best seats in the house, and they really were! It’s at the Molson Ampitheatre(which is an unbelievable venue), and I got the front row right above the pit, right at the center! It’s the best view I could have possibly got. The people in the pit were closer but had to look up the whole time, and the stage was straight ahead of me, with no heads in the way. I still can’t get over how lucky I was to get those seats.

Well the show opened up with The Weeknd who is an upcoming Toronto artist. He actually performed really well live, he has an amazing voice. After he did the set, Rick Ross came out, and the whole crowd got a bit more in to it, because he has a lot of recognizable songs. Everyone was singing along, it was great! And of course the next act was Drake! I nearly lost my voice screaming when Drake came out. He performed a lot of songs, and I sang along to everyone, and was surprised how everyone sang along to his really obscure songs, Toronto really loves Drake like no other city! Well last year Drake brought out Jay Z and Eminem to the OVO Fest, so even though the show was Drake with Rick Ross and The Weeknd, everyone kind of expected that he would bring out someone. And he sure did.

While Drake was performing he brought out Jcole, and they performed ‘In the Morning’ together. Everyone went crazy when JCole came out, including me, because I’ve met him but never seen a performance. While JCole and Drake were still on stage, Drake then brought out Nas who started with ‘Made You Look.’ I love that everyone knew the lyrics, I love Toronto! Nas performed again, and Drake and JCole were playfully bowing to him, and they all kind of embraced at the end, it was really cute. How many times are you going to see JCole, Nas, and Drake on one stage? I’m guessing that’ll be the last time with all 3.

Drake then continued with a few of his hits, he did Marvin’s Room of course, and also Trust Issues with The Weeknd. After that, I don’t think anyone could have guessed the next performer. He brought out Stevie Wonder! I saw a piano brought on stage, and thought ‘oh Alicia Keys, they have a song together,’ but what a pleasant surprise to see a legend perform for you. It was great and Drake kind of let Stevie shine, which was really nice.

I must add that Drake’s mother sat in front of me, and was bopping her head hella hard to Drake’s ‘Over’! 🙂

Anyways Stevie ended his set, and Drake started singing, and then doing shoutouts! He first went to the right side and gave a few shoutouts to some people in the crowd, then the left…then finally the center. All I know is when that light hit me, I held my hand up, and Drake pointed right at me and said “I see you girl right there with the cute braids and i think stripes on” ALl I know is that I was smiling so hard my teeth hurt, and it was the best moment ever. Honestly I blame my amazing seats, I knew before the show I was getting a shoutout with those seats. When Drake performed Fancy, the light shone on me again, and he pointed at me, and I pointed at him and sang along, best moment ever.

Drake continued his set, and near the end, like last 20 minutes, Lil Wayne like a ninja appeared on stage, and this must have been the loudest I ever heard the crowd react, including me! Even at the end of the concert, Lil Wayne riled up the crowd, and everyone was jumping and singing along. Epic performance, Lil Wayne is an amazing performer, even wearing the most funky pants ever! He performed 6’7 and Rick Ross came out, and they all performed ‘I’m On One,’ and during I’m On One, me and Drake had another moment like the one before, and my face briefly appeared on the huge screen. Amazing! If I ever go back to Molson for a show, I am getting those exact same seats.

The tickets were 95, and EVERY PERFORMANCE WAS LIVE. (I don’t get going to concerts where the artist lip synchs the whole time, might as well listen to the cd). I am so glad I waited for tickets patiently. Stevie Wonder, Nas, Jcole, Rick Ross, The Weeknd, Lil Wayne, and Drake! What a night.

About binta

UBC First year student. :)