March Biorenewables Café

by Valdeir Arantes ~ March 8th, 2013. Filed under: Upcoming Café.
Dear friends of Biorenewables Cafe,

We are excited to announce that the Biorenewables Cafe will feature a talk by Dr. Sergios Karatzos, a post-doctoral fellow with the Forest Product Biotechnology/ Bioenergy Group at UBC. Sergios will share his perspective on drop in biofuels. We will have the Cafe on Monday, March 18 at 6:30 pm at the Railway Club.
Abstract:

“International Energy Agency activities in the biofuels field and a few words about the potential of advanced drop-in biofuels”

Task 39 is the division of the International Energy Agency that addresses biofuels and their commercialization progress. As the coordinator of Task 39 I have been fortunate to work on various projects that monitor the policy, market and technology activities in the biofuels area around the world. I will first give a background on the Task and it’s role in facilitating commercialization of conventional and emerging biofuel technologies. I will then share with you some learnings/outcomes from the Task’s most recent activities. Finally I will spend a few minutes talking about my work on drop-in biofuels which are energy-dense biofuels that are indistinguishable to petroleum fuels in their end use. I am looking forward to active audience participation and please come eager to ask questions!