Happy Employees Lead to Happier Customers?

Recently, the top 100 Employers of Canada Rankings came out for the 2015 year. I noticed that all these companies are powerful leaders in their industry, which range from Airlines such as Air Canada to banks such as CIBC. So, this led me to wonder do happier employees lead to happier customers? In an article by The Globe and Mail, Dianne Jermyn lists the 100 companies and how they treat their employees and the correlation to their success.

Canada’s Top 100 Employer 2015 Cr. EmployeeSummit

I personally agree with the statement that happier employees will lead to happier customers. Recently in a Comm101 lecture, I learned about organizational culture and behavior and how the culture of a company can affect its success. The example used in the lecture was Zappos, an online shoe company that had outstanding employee benefits and training.

Zappos Diagram Cr. JEAN-PHILIPPE DELHOMME

I believe this allowed Zappos to succeed; I believe that the culture and happiness of the employees made them more willing to work and enjoy their workplace, leading to better customer interactions and relationships. I believe this leads to more long-term loyal customers and attracts new clients, a result of happier employees. Noticeably, the companies in the list also provided similar employee benefits, which included healthcare, extended paid vacation and parental leave. I believe this increase of employee happiness benefits the company as more top-level workers are attracted to work for the business and many strong workers are willing to stay. In terms of customer service, a worker that is glad to be working is more willing to help and suit the clients’ needs compared to an unhappy worker waiting for his shift to be over. Happiness spreads, and it seems to me that it is a benefactor in the success of companies.