Vision Project: Fostering a Love for Reading

image

Thinking back over all the topics we discussed throughout the course, I tried to choose a topic that would directly effect myself, the students, and my fellow colleagues at school. I narrowed it down to two topics: blogging (interactively with students, how teachers can learn to blog, benefits etc.) and fostering a love for reading. I decided on fostering a love for reading through technology. I decided on this topic simply because I want to immediately begin employing strategies and investigating what works and what doesn’t work, when using technology to promote reading at a school wide level.

I hope to create either a Prezi or a Haiku Deck, to present my Vision for the Future project. I envision the project to be a resource that teachers can refer back to for suggestions. I hope to discover and promote the use of websites, apps, blogging, and other resources that encourage students to read in untraditional ways. I also want to link my presentation to my blog, for easy retrieval.

image

(click image to visit Prezi)

I’m hoping to gain insight from educators and experts in the field of literacy and technology, and be able to link my findings back to some of the readings we did throughout the course. I don’t want the presentation to be too wordy, so I will try to format important ideas and suggestions in creative ways.

At this point I have a lot of ideas for potential apps and websites that would foster a love for reading in schools, however I want to focus my discovery around technologies that I am at this point unaware of.

Lastly, I want to have a component about how technology can foster a love for reading actual “physical” books, instead of just using technology to read (if that makes sense?). My ultimate goal is to find ways to foster a love of reading in students, by directly and indirectly using technology.

3 thoughts on “Vision Project: Fostering a Love for Reading

1. Jen McLean

Sounds like a great idea! That’s a good point about including technologies that promote the act of reading, rather than just read with a digital device. I’ve never used Haiku Deck before but it seems really interesting. Good luck!

2. Rebecca Shulba

Love your final thought about how technology can foster a love of reading BOOKS. These two things don’t need to be one or the other.

I love prezi – have seen some awesome presentations on there. Cool idea.

3. Jackie Lam

Thanks for introducing me to Prezi and Haiku Deck. I have never heard of them but they seem to be useful tools for presentation. They are on my list of “must learn” tools, as I think it would be a great tool for intermediate students’ presentation of their inquiry learning.

I can’t wait to see your final project and get some ideas from you on fostering the love of reading using technology!