Fifteen

Previously, I wrote about Terracycle being classified as an entrepreneurial company because of Tom Szaky’s innovative ideas and how his products meets rising demand of eco-friendly products. Recently my fellow classmate Nicolas Buse classified Apple as an entrepreneurial company because throughout the past decade it revolutionized the way people listen to music. But recently in class we learned about a type of entrepreneurship that I’ve never heard of before that really interested me, that is social entrepreneurship.

Jamie Oliver and his trainees from disadvantaged backgrounds

Famous TV chef Jamie Oliver and his restaurant Fifteen is an example of a social enterprise. The main difference between a tradition and a social entrepreneurship is that the social entrepreneur not only uses his or her innovative skills to start up a business, but he or she also comes up with ideas to solve society’s pressing problems. I admire the fact that Jamie Oliver took the initiative to help disadvantaged young people and gave them the opportunity to open a new page in their lives by training them to become professional chefs. Despite the larger sum of income Apple makes compared to Fifteen, I still admire Fifteen more because of the intention to assist the people in need.

Video of what Fifteen is about