2. Brainstorming

Getting Started

The concentration portfolio gives you the opportunity to experience the creation of visual arts pieces as a professional artist does. You will spend considerable time creating a body of work consisting of twelve pieces all unified by a central theme or idea, therefore it is crucial that the topic you choose is one that captures your imagination, sparks curiousity, or stirs you emotionally.

Consider the questions below as you consider your concentration topic.

• What am I passionate about?
  • Which topics are stimulating to me?
  • Where are my artistic strengths?

Work with a Partner

Begin your topic selection by working with a partner to brainstorm ideas for a concentration (each person will choose his/her own topic or theme). Complete the following steps.

• You may find an idea for your concentration by viewing pieces from your Breadth Portfolio. Make sure that your partner has the link to this portfolio as he/she may help you identify strengths that you might otherwise overlook.
  • View the list of Concentration Ideas and Best Practices. (under LISTS tab)
  • Make sure that your topic is not cliche or too broad. View the list of Problematic Starts.

Assist your partner by comparing the lists with the ideas he/she is considering. Make suggestions and help your partner select an engaging topic. You may communicate with your partner in the comment section below, or use Skype, Google docs. or other technology.