Kaleidoscope

Catherine's Marketing Blog

Kaleidoscope header image 2

RE: “This is funny, Period.” Olivia Chiang’s Marketing Blog Post

October 20th, 2010 by Catherine Hsu

Have you ever heard a girl mention that she’s “riding the Crimson wave/cotton pony” or that she’s having her “monthy visitor”? Or perhaps you’ve begun to think that every other girl out there has a Aunt called “Aunt Flo” who visits frequently throughout the year.

Sorry guys, but the bloody truth (pun intended) is that those statements are actually incognito ways of saying “I’m on my Period”.

Now before you all squirm uncomfortably in your seats about the “P” word, and proceed to close this internet browser – take a minute to think about those brilliant tampon and pad commercials you see on TV. Things aren’t so bad, right? Those tampax girls are usually showing their pearly-white smiles, dressed in vibrant-coloured, floral-decked, sun dresses who spin around as if the world were dainty and fun. There’s not a worry in the world when you’re time of the month comes! I believe most girls would agree with me when I say “YEAAAA righhtttt”.

This severe dissonance was brought to my attention when I was reading Olivia Chiang’s marketing blog post entitled  “This is funny, Period.” First of all, props Olivia, I love your blog post title. It made me lol, literally.

But prior to reading her blog post, I had never realized how distorted some tampon/pad advertisements are in portraying this monthy burden that half the population must endure for a good 50-60 years of their lives. Albeit, I do not have as much angst towards the tampax/always advertising as the Texan woman mentioned in Olivia’s post, but I can’t deny that she does make a valid point. “Have a happy period” – is that even possible? This Always brand tagline is featured all over their commercials and advertisements, even on the pad itself! and yet, can a single pad really conquer that monthy hormonal change that stresses and inhibits a girl from continuing her day-to-day activities? Not to mention the cramps that some girls get!

Although the ads are effective in portraying what a period is like for a girl in an ideal situation/world, those happy girls who prance around the beach during their period are simply unrealistic. My main concern is not the advertisement themselves, but the distorted view that tampon and pad commercials portray of having your period. Trust me, it’s not as fun as it looks.

Tags: No Comments

Leave A Comment

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.