t- 26

Posted by: | April 13, 2011 | Leave a Comment

I am always hesitant to post a blog post on this blog because it seems more official and academic, simply because it’s part of ubc blogs. I think I will try to get into the habit of reflecting in this space whenever something remotely related to my undergrad experience happens.

This week has been full of exams and studying, as most of us are familiar with. So far, I’ve pulled one all nighter, gone on two junk food binges, and survived on an average of three cups of coffee each day. It’s good times. Last night I spent the night in a sleeping bag at my friend’s dorm, which is also a common occurrence during this time… I still have yet to sleep at the library. All in all, lots of studying is getting done, and my busy week will end once I finish up an exam this afternoon and write my ten page paper for related to my placement coming up in t- 26days!

I spent a good chunk of last night checking out different university lipdubs, and as I was walking to the SUB (student union building) this morning, I thought of how lucky we all were as students studying in North America. To have the privilege of residing and being the heart of a prominent educational institution is something beyond the dreams and aspirations of other individuals across the world. I think that, as a student, I can speak to my ignorance and pettiness when I am caught up with my own life. What I complain about really has no right to be a complaint. I will give thanks more, and reflect on how I can give back to the global community.

As my placement in Uganda is approaching, I am also formulating possible post- grad plans… I am considering pursuing a B.Ed, M.Ed, and then joining Teachers without Borders for two years or so. Eventually I hope that I can dedicate my life to the field of education, and maybe be a significant influence in an education system somewhere in the world.