softly commanding

Posted by: | November 22, 2011 | Leave a Comment

There is a lot of satisfaction in commanding the attention of my students, not for myself, but for them as my students. I am not teaching to hear my voice. I want them to listen, because what I say is directed to guide them. I quiet my voice, acknowledge their points of distraction, and remind them that they are only in the class for an hour twice a week (they can be distracted so many other hours of the week).

The core of my teaching philosophy is that every student has the potential to do really well. I truly, honestly, passionately believe this. They just need a perfect balance of  diligence, patience, confidence, and humbleness within themselves. As a teacher, I try my best to recognize their individual sparks, or unique potentials, to facilitating a thoughtful learning environment by accommodating the different balances of each student. Every class is a different dynamic, and every lesson differs in mood. Every student learns differently according to those variables. My favourite part of my job is witnessing the learning that happens: in the lesson itself, as well as throughout a term. It’s so fulfilling to see a student rise up to their potential, and interesting to see how they do that in response/under influence from the different dynamics and moods of each lesson.

I am so looking forward to starting my B.Ed application. Education is so important, in my opinion.