Trees, mountains, water.

Posted by: | December 8, 2011 | Leave a Comment

This morning I woke up to a gold full moon, lying low on the horizon. Took the ferry across from Langdale to Horseshoe bay, and the got onto the bus as the sun rose. So peaceful. Last evening we hiked up Soames Hill and watched the sun set. On our right was a brilliant golden sun dipping behind the trees and mountains; on our left was a pale, almost translucent moon coming up. The forest trail down felt so safe. Comfortable. Familiar, though it was my first visit.

I’m going to miss the daily routine of the teacher’s life, which I got to experience the past few days. It felt so right. Stef and I went with her mom to work every day, and I got the opportunity to drop in on several different grades in the school. I felt exhausted at the end of each day, but wonderfully so. I know I definitely will love working in the field of education, with others who share my passion. I guess it’s something I’m really looking forward to, anyway. Two days ago we got to attend a teacher’s workshop, and there we had many insightful conversations with experienced teachers all over the coast. Right now, I get to look forward to my B.Ed program. Stef and I were talking about our (near?) future when we can attend teacher’s workshops together. It’s so meaningful to share our passion, especially since we were with each other in Uganda.

I love living in BC. Growing up in the city, I never got to experience the comforts of “BC Living”: surrounded by trees, mountainscapes, ocean bodies. I guess I get glimpses of the North Shore from various beaches and points in the city. It’s totally different being away from the city. I love it.

It was still really comforting to bus into downtown this morning– I am a city girl at heart. Pulling into UBC made me feel proud; I love this community of students, I feel at home here.