reminisce > regret

Posted by: | December 16, 2011 | Leave a Comment

It’s kind of a challenge to think about some moments in my past and not inwardly groan. It is a lot easier for me to wish I did something better or made different decisions than to accept that those mistakes were meant to be made.

Facebook’s new timeline feature reminds me of all those tiny moments of happiness/excitement/betrayal/hurt/exhaustion/stress/persistence/depression that I made through to get to where I am today. I think of them all as learning moments now, reflecting back. But I still feel little leftovers of all those emotions attached to each notch on that timeline.

Until today I didn’t realize how much of my life I put onto the web. I think I knew, but I didn’t see how permanent it was. So many stories of my life, accessible to every single one of my Facebook friends. It’s pathetic, considering “facebook friend” usually means less than acquaintances. So many stories of friendships, broken friendships, naive relationships, unhealthy semesters….

I’m really happy with who I am today, so I can’t complain too much about all those moments that have taught me so much.

—-

The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise— Alden Nowlan