Best practices

Posted by: | April 20, 2013 | Leave a Comment

Reflection prompt:

“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” 

― William Arthur Ward

Response: The quote is a very beautiful summary of my conversations with my F.A. and S.A. this week. I think that telling only forces students to  learn by rote (e.g. telling students the definition of a word), while explaining something to students subjects students to a passive role in their learning (e.g. teaching students the root words and its meanings, breaking down bigger words).
Demonstration is an important part of a lesson I think, because it is a time for a teacher to model the activity before encouraging students to practice it themselves (e.g. demonstrating a science experiment). My goal as a teacher is to inspire, which is to make learning much more student centred and meaningful to them. I am still learning about what the best practices are to inspire students. I wonder if setting up a classroom for students to have research and exploration time built-in is where the inspiration might happen. Perhaps the goal is to teach students how to teach each other, and the teacher, so that they are in charge of their own learning.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind