Mar 17 / Christine Cheung

Online ads: What makes them successful?

Times are changing and the online advertising industry is taking over as in 2012 spending costs for online ads in the US equaled to $38 billion.  But as a consumer, online ads are the ones I rarely notice at all.  For myself, my eyes are adjusted to avoid the sides of my browser knowing that there will just be boring ads trying to sell unwanted products at deep discounts.  If these ads don’t actually attract customers, why are they still there and why are companies investing so much money into them?

I discovered that those ads I don’t notice are the ones that are doing it wrong.  In an article titled, “The best online ads of 2012 weren’t ads”  I learned that the online ads that actually work are the ones that don’t actually sell anything but instead tell a story, engage and compel consumers.  The best ones were the ones people wanted to share with their networks because they believed in the message behind them.

Some of the top contenders for best ads I liked included:

1.       Nike “Most Active Day Ever”

Nike was able to sell a message of being active and coming together as a community to do it.  They recognized that by promoting the importance of doing things to better yourself, consumers associate Nike as being a positive brand that is concerned about the consumers.  By first promoting a lifestyle associated with their brand, the customers will soon follow and purchase products from Nike, which has become part of their evoked set.

2.       Oreo “Daily Twist”

The Oreo is so recognizable by just its two cookies at the top and bottom, there wasn’t even a need to show consumers the Oreo logo.  The ad is simple and fun, but carries depth in its message making it an ad that people want to share.

Not to mention, Oreo’s buzz worthy ad during the Superbowl through a viral tweet: “You can still dunk in the Dark.” Oreo, only one of the many brands under Nabisco, have dominated in the cookie/cracker industry by growing its product line through diversification.

3.       Sharpie “Grap a Sharpie & Start Something”

I personally like this ad because it reminds us as consumers about what it was like to be kid, where imagination and creativity were at its height.    It moves people to re-ignite that create side of them that often gets lost as we grow up.