Apr 7 / Christine Cheung

#abercrombiehot

One thing I’ve learned is the extraordinary ability marketers need to condense the endless amount of articles, data, and numbers available and turn it into useful information.  For each of the marketing assignments, the biggest challenge I faced was compressing all the information to fit the limits that always seemed too little for everything we need to cover!  It’s so hard to give up certain facts or statements when you feel like everything you’ve written or said is important.  The writing came easy, but the hours spent editing and shortening our parts was truly the difficult part.  With so much information available, updated almost daily, I also didn’t know which information to consider relevant.  Is information from one month, one year, or two years still important to a retailer that is constantly updating its operations in response to economic and political changes?  Definitely, a skill I learned was how to pick out the most important and relevant information.

One of the strengths of the assignment was that it made me really think about our company, A&F, and all their marketing tactics.  It’s made me question all advertisement I see thinking “Am I decoding the message correctly” or “am I the target market the company is trying to reach?”  There were a lot of new aspects of A&F that I learned about including their strong online presence and history as a hunting goods store.  The project made me more aware of what is going on in marketing around me and realize why some companies are so successful in their marketing strategies.

To improve the video project we did hand in, I would have liked to elaborate further on our recommendations as due to time pressures of the video, we didn’t allocate enough time for it. I would also have liked to take the project one step further.  I felt that we did a lot of research on our company, determining the target market, refining a positioning statement, and assessing the 4 marketing P’s, but we didn’t get to fully apply any of it.  We got to make recommendations for the company but I would have liked to create an actual marketing campaign for A&F.  This could be the creative portion of the assignment and then the assignment could be judged on how effective classmates or professors thought the ad was.

The teamwork was fun and I’d like to end off this blog for now to mark the end of Comm 296.  Now time for finals!