Posted by: | 26th Sep, 2011

Destructive Advertisement Mediums

Everyone has something that they do to unwind after a long day. For some it’s kicking back and watching TV, for others it’s working out. My unwind-activity is watching Youtube videos. I have a number of channels that I subscribe to, and I like to spend 20 to 30 minutes catching up on them each day. The problem arises when I click on a 2 minute video, and have to sit through a 30 second advertisement that is, as a rule, annoying and agitating.

I understand that Youtube is being commercialized. There are now dozens of people that I know of who make their living solely by their Youtube channel, and advertisements are a big part of why that can happen. But on the viewer’s end, this can be extremely frustrating. Commercials on TV are one thing; they are predictable, prescheduled and give you a chance to tune out from the show. But there is something that just gets to me about having to sit through a commercial every time I choose to watch a video online. I know that the advert is just sitting there, waiting for me, and there is no way around it.

Maybe the quality of these online commercials plays into my contempt for them. For some reason they always seem to feature the most annoying jingles and the most piercing voices. Horrible thoughts of PageRage  asking me, “Tired of the same old facebook profile?” come to mind. Just watch this video and tell me that it has never assaulted your ears before.

Advertisements on Youtube videos actually damage my perception of the companies that use them. I have vowed never to become a customer of Mobilicity, Duracell, and others, solely based on their relentless Youtube campaigns.

Leave a response

Your response: