“Combray” by Marcel Proust

[Combray] by Marcel Proust is not a page-turner. Every sentence in the book is lengthy and contains long-winded details, and every scene is, in my perspective, descriptive as the protagonist tries to depict everything he feels in the moment. One explicit example is the sentence above. In the sentence, he is trying to describe the moment he has a hard time sleeping in a very esthetically. This characteristic of the writing style makes the reading harder and slower.

However, as I continued reading the story, I could completely delve into the world Proust built in the story. There are two elements I want to point out. The first one is the detailed and in-depth delineation. The language and expression Proust used colourized every scene as the reader is allowed to travel down the memory of the protagonist vividly. It is shown not only in the part where the narrator has tea and a petites madelines, but also across the story. I want to point out one scene, where Mama read Francois le Champi to him.

“[…] taking care to banish from her voice any pettiness, any affectation which might have prevented it from receiving that powerful torrent, she imparted all the natural tenderness, all the ample sweetness they demanded to those sentences which seemed written for her voice and which remained, so to speak, entirely within the register of her sensibility.” (43)

It does not merely deliver the dry fact that his mom reads the book for the narrator, but actually focus more on the suitable metaphors and clear description of “feeling”, which allow the reader to experience the moment fully.

Another one to point out is the irrelevance of time. This book does not follow the generic narrative structure. Instead, the story travels through the protagonist’s stream of consciousness and describe scene by scene accordingly. I realised that following the passage of time when reading this book is not an effective way to enjoy the story. I think it would be more enjoyable to read the story by following the stream of the narrator’s thoughts and memories, although it is hazy and obscure in time.

One thing I found conjecturable as a psychology major — although it might be extremely controversial — is that the narrator shows the symptoms of oedipus complex. I know it is a refuted, old-fashioned theory, but it is also a classic view of ego formation. It is vaguely shown from his obsession of mom’s goodnight kiss, to a different designation between mom and dad (he even started with a capital letter to write a word “Mama”, whereas dad is just called “my father”).

I am aware that it is going to be controversial. Therefore, I would put this as a question I would ask.

Q. Do you think Proust used Freudian theory (Oedipus complex) as a theme of the story?

2 thoughts on ““Combray” by Marcel Proust

1. Ryan Tsang

I agree, once you adapt to his writing style you can really get into it.
    I’m not sure if I will call that Oedipus complex. There was a bit of hostility towards the father but the attitude the child has for his mother isn’t sexual. Just a child that wants affection.

2. Tesi

Steve, I am glad to read you were able to move past the hard and slow to find your self a little lost in the story. You made a very good point of meditating on how the narrative voice infuses with emotions his words and in doing so, makes it feel less like a dry description. Time also definitely plays a key role in th narrative! It is actually a common practice in literary studies to draw from psychological theory to engage in text criticism, so you are not as far off as you think!
    Thanks for your comment