The Name’s Martin… Aston Martin: A Look At Prestige Product Advertising

Aston Martin has successfully branded itself over the last fifty years, or so, to the extent that whenever most people think about an Aston Martin luxury sports car, they automatically think about James Bond.  Also, whenever people have a picture in their mind of James Bond, they think of him driving an Aston Martin.  It is as if you can’t have one without the other.  And is there really a better way to promote your prestige product (in this case a car) better than associating it with the playboy, super spy, badass James Bond character?

Aston Martin’s market is mainly “classy” men, who still want the sports car taste to their daily ride.  Well, I think that it goes without saying that there isn’t a better individual to make male Aston Martin drivers imagine themselves being than James Bond.  What more can a guy ask for other than exotic women, state of the art gadgets, and a “don’t mess with me” mentality?

I have to admit, being a James Bond fanatic (and I mean about as big of a fanatic as you can get) this branding has worked on me, because the Aston Martin has become my dream car due to this James Bond association.  But what is quite unique about the Aston Martin brand, is that you can still have that Rolls Royce feel of a luxurious, classy vehicle; but still get that sports car appearance.  For me, there really isn’t a better cross for cars of sports and luxury.  For me personally, it’s definitely worth the extra money to have that James Bond association with your car.  Prestige products can easily capture customers by using a similar association model that Aston Martin uses, as Aston Martin has shown how highly effective that it can be.

And oh, the roar of that engine in the commercial is so sexy.