Classroom Implications

Hypothesis: There are significant differences between how behaviourist and cognitive approaches manifest themselves in daily classroom activity, as the following concept map illustrates:

Click here: Implications for teaching cognitively

We offer the above, tongue fully in cheek, as full disclosure of the bias we bring to this page and hope you have a little smile on your face. Yes, we know that behaviourism holds an honourable position  in the epistemological Hall of Fame, but we offer it no quarter in this blog! Just as Canadians emphatically describe themselves as “NOT Americans!”, we disavow any meaning-full relationship with our mind-less behaviouristical peers.  Accordingly we offer the following implications for classroom practice as proof that we think differently than them, and not only that, we , in humility, ask for you to help us generate even more  distinguishing cognitive implications for practice.

Presentation of new information

Attention first of all must be paid to the effect that limitations on working memory ( memory of immediate consciousness)  have on retention. What is retained by learners is what they have repeated to themselves or recalled as they take notes. The more skillfully they can do this the more efficiently new information can be retrieved; otherwise, the information retained may be sketchy and in disarray. In order to be consistent with cognitive precepts, teachers should:

– as much as possible build on prior learning. For example, before presenting new information, refer to information previously presented by outlining it on the board and asking learners to” fill in the blanks”. It is also helpful to list the items that are to be presented in order to facilitate note-taking.

– familiarize learners with note-taking tools such as mind-mapping, outlining and  shorthand. Use stories, mnemonic devices, metaphors, visuals and anything else that works for you as a mental “hook”.

– limit the amount of information presented to 3 items at a time then follow up immediately with examples of how the information can be applied in different contexts. Repeat 3 times and then switch to small group problem solving activities that challenge students ability to retrieve and apply the new information.

Carl Wieman, PhD. “Reducing unnecessary demand on working memory improves learning” (March, 2008)

Retention and Application

In order to facilitate the transition of information retrieved from working memory to long term memory, students need a framework for organizing knowledge into which they can “plug’ new information. Furthermore, they need effortful practice that focusses on progressively higher levels of comprehension, continuous feedback from instructors and peers, and regular opportunities to reflect on what they have learned. Otherwise, knowledge stored in working memory may be displaced by new information and incompletely transferred.  In order to be consistent with cognitive precepts in this regard, teachers should:

– provide instruction on coding information in descriptive categories related to content, type of knowledge, application or whatever variables best describe the information, then practice  linking categories into topical themes for analysis and evaluation. These themes become the focus of reflection on what has been learned.

– include opportunities for students to reflect on their learning at least once per class. Continously compare new conceptions with their prior iterations.

-Encourage the development of increasingly sophisticated conceptions by adding cognitive load in the form of challenges to the current conceptions held by students. Remind students when things get particularly complicated that expertise does not come easily but you are certain they will succeed if they only try hard.

Carl Wieman, PhD. “It’s the concept that transfers” (loc.cit) 

Promising Implementations

The following activities are generously contributed by readers of this blog, who are identified by their login IDs. Details can be found in the Reply field.  Our hearty thank you goes to all who have contributed!

Jigsaw activity (KIMW):

1. Small groups prepare thematic summaries of assigned readings (eg short stories). Groups focus on different themes.
  2. Each prepares a collaboratively developed “best analysis”.
  3. Groups compare analyses with other groups who share  the same reading.
  4. Groups compare analyses with other groups who share  the same theme
  5. Groups reflect on what they have learned from the activity in a large group discussion.

Now dear reader, it is your turn. Please let us know what implications for practice you see, especially any that you have implemented in your own practice. We will  happily add your input to this page.

Reference

Weiman, C. (March 19, 2008). “What every instructor should know about learning ( lecture )”. University of British Columbia.

7 thoughts on “Classroom Implications

1. Really good job on giving a lot of practical applications of the theory! It really consolidates our belief that scaffolding lessons helps our students absorb the lesson. However, this makes me reflect on some lessons, and want to do that even more than I already do. Thanks!

Danielle

2. Thanks Danielle. I hadn’t really thought of this as scaffolding (a temporary structure), but rather more simply as a general sort of information processing strategy, derived from cognitive learning theory, that would be used more or less continuously. Now that you mention it, though, I can see that it could be used as a temporary bridge, for example, in settings where international students are transitioning from one culture into another and looking for ways in which they might incorporate the knowledge they bring with them in their new surroundings…

3. Hello Cognophilia group,

I am from the 64A Cogntive Approached group.

Here’s something I did this week that involved practices to engage, attend and retain: I tried a jigsaw activity that involved four short stories we’ve read this month and three concepts (point of view, theme and symbolism). A few students were given the same concept as applied to one of the stories (class of 33). They had to prepared their small contribution for homework, compared with their two other classmates that had the same topic and come to one ‘best’ analysis. Then they formed ‘same story’ groups and presented the information on their individual concepts. Finally, they created ‘different story’ groups where they took turns presenting the information on all three concepts for one story. They did some self-deep thinking, critically discussed, repeated their learning to others, prepared to teach their information and the new information to another group, and delivered it again (repetition). I firmly believe that the ‘active’ component is necessary for retention.

4. Great job on this blog! I found myself going from one link to the next and really enjoyed the way you approached the topic. I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed seeing the “Illuminaries” page.

I have used a a few strategies of late…one that we have all used at one point or another is the KWL chart. (Know-Want to know-Learned) I use this chart as a primer to get the students thinking about the topic initially. I don’t direct or correct them when the “know” something that is actually incorrect. We revisit this chart throughout to check our understanding. This goes alongside other work that we do. I tend to have students working in project/problem based learning (PBL). I have found that students seem to be more engaged and enthusiastic about the learning. Having them work collaboratively makes them accountable to each other as they strive to gain the solutions they need.

Currently I have students getting ready to create an online magazine (the first in our school’s history). I provided them with some structure to begin with and some guidance. Principles of journalism and some history. They then provided information to each other on styles, techniques issues regarding ethics and so on. Now they have two peer editors, one student in charge or lay-out and then others working on articles. They decided that they all the writers would meet with the editors twice a week to make sure that everyone is on track. I have taken the role of adviser. I provide suggestions or guidance when needed but mostly work as encourager as they work through this project. They know that the online publication will be viewed by all so the stakes are high. It has been a great project thus far. They publish their 1st edition at the end of this month!

Ken

• Hi Ken,
      I really like the activity you are doing with your students. This is great! I can see this type of activities (authentic task) as being very motivating for students!!! Great great idea! Thank you for sharing.

Johanne

• Thanks…This has been my first attempt at the online publication but so far it has been exciting. I am sure I will learn lots about what I will do again and what I might change.

Ken

• Good for you, Ken
          This may be a good time to introduce concepts like social capital, social ecology, sustainability and social empowerment. As Margaret Mead maybe said (approximately), “never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world- indeed that is the only way it happens!”