Indigenous Media: Module 2, Post 3

http://indigenousmedia.com/

This media company’s goal is to give storytellers around the world a platform, from which they can create any kind of content and reach their intended audience. They use both traditional and digital media components. I found this aspect of their company to be most intertwined with the goals of many members of Indigenous communities we have read about so far. Rather than forgetting the old and moving on with the new, they are actively embracing both sides to create unique media. From custom series, to work featuring female lead roles they offer a space within media for those looking to complete work that is native to their own space. They have a series titles 60 second docs that is well reviewed on Facebook. I found this site while looking for Indigenous media sources, however, I can’t seem to find any “Indigenous” material , as we refer to the word in this course. Not to say that this media outlet is void of it, but I found it interesting due to the name. I would be curious to hear what you guys think about this. On the site they give the definition of Indigenous as: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place, native. Of course this pertains to many things, it just sparked a thought in me about the way we refer to things and what underlying meaning is rooted in titles.