This schedule is currently tentative. However, we do not expect any required dates or times to be added to the schedule.
Flow of a Typical 2-Week Unit
A typical 2-week unit starts with the pre-class prep work for that unit’s workshop. The unit then stretches to the next workshop—though we’ll occasionally deviate from this schedule:
|Pre-workshop||prep work (often including technical setup)|
|Workshop (Sat AM)||Initial practice with technology/skill|
|Workshop (Sat PM)||Graded TA and peer project design/code reviews; individual assignment work|
|First lab (Tue/Wed)||Supplemental instruction; facilitated assignment or project work|
|Pre-2nd lab (Tue 4PM)||Assignment due (push to-be-graded version to repo)|
|Second lab (2nd Tue/Wed)||Assignment grading demos; facilitated project work|
|Next Sat workshop||On to the next unit; Scrum updates due at 10pm|
Flow of the Term
CPSC 436I has three types of scheduled meetings:
- Workshops in DMP 110 + DMP 101/ICCS X350
- Every other Saturday beginning May 11, from 10AM–3:30PM in two parts: a hands-on introduction to a new set of technologies by an industry speaker (10AM to roughly 12:30PM) and facilitated sessions to practice with that technology (roughly 1–3PM) with a brief lunch break between the two.
- Labs in ICCS X050
- Two hours in the early evening every week (Tuesday or Wednesday, according to your registration). A module’s first week lab starts with an hour of hands-on supplemental instructions followed by facilitated work time. The second week lab starts with an hour of individual assignment demo grading and then more facilitated work time.
- End-of-Term Conference:
- On Aug 10 (three weeks after the last workshop), teams present their final projects to other teams, course staff, and university and industry guests. (Tentatively scheduled in DMP for 10AM–1:30PM, but please reserve the usual 10AM–3:30PM block.) All CPSC 436I deadlines are on or before August 10th.
Below is a detailed schedule of modules labelled by their kickoff workshop date. We have no labs or other course work before the first workshop.
|Workshop Date||Planned Subject||Speaker||Host||Special Notes|
|25 May||React, Redux, Meteor, and the “Front End”||Danya||Steve|
|8 June||NodeJS, Meteor, and other framework “Back Ends”||Daniel||Ian|
|22 June||NoSQL and MongoDB||Amreen||Steve|
|6 July||Release Engineering||Dorothy||Danya|
|20 July||Career Preparation: Portfolio Building and Networking||Jeremy||Ian|
|10 August||Final Conference!|
Important dates to be aware of over the summer:
- 6 May:
- Start of Summer Session Term 1
- 17 May:
- Last day for CPSC 436I students to drop without a W.
- 20 May (Mon):
- Victoria Day holiday
- 1 June–7 June:
- Large conference using many of UBC’s scheduled spaces. CPSC 436I labs proceed normally!
- 14 June:
- Last day for withdrawal w/W from CPSC 436I.
- 20 June:
- Last day of Term 1 classes.
- 24–28 June (Mon–Fri):
- Term 1 exams. We will discuss CPSC 436I labs for this week with you as the time approaches!
- 1 July (Mon)
- Canada Day holiday
- 2 July (Tue)
- Term 2 classes start
- 5 July
- Last day for Term 2 drop w/out W
- 19 July
- Last day for Term 2 drop w/W
- 5 Aug (Mon)
- BC Day holiday
- 9 Aug
- Last day of classes Term 2. (CPSC 436I’s final conference is on 10 Aug.)
- 13 Aug–17 Aug (Tue–Sat)
- 2019S2 exam period