Introductory Blog Post

Hello everyone!

My name is Daelyn Wagner and I am a first year arts student here at UBC. As of right now I am not sure what I will major in however I am leaning towards majoring in Economics. I enjoy learning about the way that our economy runs and survives and I think that economics is very useful to know just for everyday life as well. I’ve lived in BC my whole life, I was born in Kelowna and was raised in summerland up until I moved to Vancouver for university. I’ve always loved visiting Vancouver and experiencing the excitement of the city for as long as I can remember, and that played a large roll in deciding where I wanted to go for university. Although I’m unsure of my major yet I do know that I would like to pursue a law degree after getting my bachelors degree. Law is something that I have been interested in for as long as I can remember. For fun I like to go on hikes, read, and paint with acrylics and oil paints.

Although I ended up choosing this course in order to fulfill my literature requirement I am still very excited to see what this course can offer. Romance studies definitely seems like an interesting and wide concept for literature studies especially considering the incredible amount of novels and books that have been written about romance and live stories. I’ve always enjoyed reading books and am very excited to see whether or not I will find some new favourite books throughout the term from this classes readings. I also hope to improve my writing skills and become more analytical when reading texts. I find the concept of choosing your grade from the begin interesting and definitely something that I’ve never seen before. I think that allowing the student to have control and decide from the beginning how much they would like to participate and how much time they would like to dedicate to the material and course work to be a very good idea which holds students accountable for their own effort and dedication. The fact that you can much more easily control your grade outcome for this course than any other course I’ve taken at ubc is a major bonus for me personally because of the transparency of the grading system and the control that a system like this can provide for you.

1 thought on “Introductory Blog Post