I Don’t need A Tiffany; All I Want is You

I cannot remember when the true meaning of Valentines’ Day starts changing. This pure and romantic festival allow people to speak their love loudly and reinforce lovers’ relationships. A warm hug,  a sincere confession and a firm commitment all could make people feel satisfied, happy and being protected and loved. However, looking through the trends of celebrating Valentines’ Day now, I don’t know should I be happy by accepting more physical gifts or feel pity and annoyed by marketers’ excessive promotion of their products designed by capturing consumers’ psychological behaviours.

Right now, when we talk about Valentine’s Day, the first several things poped in our mind are red roses, a candlelight dinner in a gin palace, a Tiffany’s ring and other relevant or irrelevant products which are ranked on a ” Valentine’s Day gift checklist.”

Why do our love  have to be valued by how expensive the gifts we send?

This phenomena is entwined with marketing promotion. Before the Valentine’s Day, most stores are decorated into red or pink colour and embellished by rose petals and hearts to increase consumers’ desire to walk into the stores and feel the atmosphere. The posters of florist shops tell consumers the flower languages and potentially state that “more roses you buy, more love you show.” Restaurants  designs the “Valentine Set” which charges  high than usual. Tiffany Co. spends tons of advertising expense on magazines and board to promote their special Valentine’s rings to light girl’s hope of receiving it from her lovers. Meanwhile, Haagen Dazs has an impressive slogan for its ice cream on Valentine’s Day–“Love her, treat her Haagen Dazs.” Except these common examples, almost every store participates in Valentine’s Day sales even a shoe store, to earn people’s money by exaggerating the importance of gifts.

Those promotions are not wrong; but, please do not add that much pressure and “extra meanings” on Valentine’s Day.

All we want is just that 3 words, 8 letters ———-I LOVE YOU.

Reference: Rohit Bhargava. “Why Your Brand Should Sit Out Valetine’s Day.”(Recommended blog)  http://www.rohitbhargava.com/2013/02/why-your-brand-should-sit-out-valentines-day-and-shut-up.html