Student participation: What about seeking-help?

When I first began researching my inquiry question regarding participation in a classroom, I thought of participation in terms of group discussion, answering questions put forth by the teacher, and willingness to learn. It was not until I read Calarco’s article that I realized that an actively participating learner knows how and when to seek help. Calarco defines help-seeking in schools as “children’s requests for assistance, clarification, information, and checking-of-work from teachers” (Calarco, 2011, p. 865). Seeking help is a huge component of education and is a very proactive action. In her study, Calarco examines the differences that social class has on students’ ability to seek assistance with their learning. When students chose to get help, they are involved in the process and are engaged with their education. The study revealed that “middle-class students used direct and proactive strategies” and that “working-class students tended to be more patient and less proactive” (Calarco, 2011, p. 873-874).

I find this quite a controversial topic, especially how in the conclusion Calarco (2011) alludes to these findings as being predictors for cultural capital later in life. When I finished reading her study, I started to think about how a teacher could help combat this issue. Calarco (2011) acknowledged that the teachers whose classes she observed did not have any help-seeking strategies or routines set in place for her students – it was entirely up to the students to take it upon themselves to seek assistance. I think that it would be very beneficial to set in place comfortable routines that make it a less involved process to seek help. One idea I found was a “help marker” – a star shaped figure that stands on a student’s desk to indicate that he or she needs help. I also think Plickers would be a great tool to check for understanding. Calarco also (2011) discusses how it is not until students are engaging with the activity or assignment, do they realize that they need help. Using Plickers after students begin working would be a stress-free and anonymous way for students to admit that they need extra guidance. If technology is not available, a mid-activity traffic lighting question could work as well – “Heads down, cards up!”.

Students in a classroom come from various backgrounds, and it is a part of the teacher’s job to create equal opportunities for student learning. Anonymous or less-involved ways to check for understanding is one way teachers can help those students who are less inclined to make the trek from their desk to the teacher’s or raise their hands to get help. Being proactive to find those who are struggling could help this, which then helps facilitate a safe, comfortable classroom. Hopefully, these strategies can then translate to students feeling comfortable enough to then take the initiative to seek assistance on their own as well.

Source: Calarco, Jessica McCrory. “”I Need Help!” Social Class and Children’s Help-Seeking in Elementary School.” American Sociological Review 76.6 (2011): 862-82. Web.

Plickers

One Comment

1. This sense of students develop the ability to seek help is so crucial Darrien. It is terrific to see you connecting this to your inquiry (and also to tech integration/student response systems) since it’s not an ‘obvious’ link!