Sustainability

Sustainability in business has always been an issue that I’ve been torn on. Often times I have felt that in order for a business to practice sustainability, or socially responsibility, it has to cost them money and detract from their profits. However, as I am being exposed to more cases, like this Levi’s article, my feelings that sustainability can be good for the world and the business are strengthening. Levi’s has created a new method of jean finishing that uses a fraction of the water that the older methods use. Also, a percentage of the cotton used in these jeans comes from farmers who are practicing sustainable methods of water conservation with their crops. At first I thought this would be a costly venture, and I was right, there are some extra costs. These costs, however, are offset by the fact that the Water<Less jeans are selling faster and at a comparable price to the jeans made with the traditional methods. I’m learning through articles like this that as a society we are demanding products that not only cater to our needs but also cater to the needs of our environment. This means that not only is practicing sustainability in business good for our world, it is also good for our bottom line.

Check out the Levi’s video called WATER<LESS