DVDs….more than just a way to save money when you want to watch a movie?

With the recent opening of the toolkit, options and task to explore have become available.  I am still mostly looking forward to playing with and learning how to design in moodle, but there was a small section on creating DVDs.

It seems a bit silly, but I had more or less forgotten about using them as a tool.  I have a few from various publishers tossed in one of my desk drawers somewhere at work.  I have even created a few myself previously and the task itself isn’t too difficult and it has the advantages of not needing internet access.  However, creating proper resources to make them a useful tool does consume time.  I often find the interactivity of the DVD less than ideal and some of the layouts have been less than stellar, but not all.

The best part about this little task, was that it has prompted to head into work and search through my small stack of DVDs to see, which of them can actually be used effectively to support a lesson, or help build a students understanding.  If I find time, probably a good point to make the time, I will analyze the good ones to see what makes them good and how to use that to create some stand alone lessons for my own classes.

2 Responses to DVDs….more than just a way to save money when you want to watch a movie?

1. John P Egan says:

Check to see if your version of Powerpoint allows you to export/save as a Quicktime Movie. If it does, those videos can be aggregated with other supporting multimedia (slide shows, other videos) to create a DVD that works to facilitate a class activity–and allows students to remediate in a semi-self directed way if they missed the session.

Does that make sense?