Recent Posts

Topics

The Online Learning Classroom

My first real experience with with educational technology that really impacted how I learned was my first experience taking an online course during third year of my undergraduate degree. It changed the way I wanted to learn and how I learned. It helped me to see the power of technology and how it can create opportunities.
As I was a commuter during my undergrad years (I drove about 30 minutes to the university each day from my family home) I didn`t have the pleasure of having the lecture halls, instructors and teaching assistants at my close call every day. If I returned home after lectures and had problems with the readings I was assigned that day then it was not possible to get immediate help.
It was in my third year of undergrad that I enrolled in my first online course. I enjoyed the flexibility it provided me with as it allowed me to do my work from home. Also being able to get help through an online environment was a big help. I also remember being more actively engaged in my work as I enjoyed using my computer to learn, it provided me with a different venue to learn, different than just listening to lectures, taking notes and reading textbooks. The online environment allowed more diverse applications for learning and provided different and more opportunities for discussion and evaluation. I cherished these new options and looked for more opportunities to take online courses. I continued to take online courses when offered in my fourth year of studies and I have also since completed 2 additional professional development courses since becoming a science teacher during the summer months.
These experiences have also contributed to the fact that I am completing my MET. I have developed a real appreciation for technology and what it can do for me. I am very interested in understanding how I can now improve my pedagogy using technology not just my own learning.

1 Response to The Online Learning Classroom

1. Technology in the Math and Science Classroom » Blog Archive » The ETEC 533 Journey: A Reflection

[…] The Online Learning Classroom […]