HOME

Welcome to ENGL 301! In this course there is an expectation to learn how to write professionally. This means that we will be learning and studying technical communication which, will help each of us in our present/future business ventures. We will be working on the basics, such as setting up business profiles, to the more advanced writings, such as the formal report. Each of the students in the class will create their writing, review their classmates’ work, and engage in one on one feedback with the professor. Throughout this whole course we will be reading Technical Communication by John M. Lannon and Laura J. Gurak to help inform and hone our writing to appease our audience, the business professionals. This text book will help us focus our writing by acknowledging our goals as technical communicators: knowing the purpose of our pieces, our audience, and the what we hope to accomplish with it. It will give us the starting blocks for how to break down our writing processes into stages, ensuring we cover all of our bases. We will learn how to write for each of the different levels of formality and how we should write based on our audience, whether we are in a position to order or whether we need to rely on our audiences’ sense of logic.

At the end of this course I hope to improve in my professional and technical writing to better present myself in all business settings. I expect  to build/publish a polished business profile, apply to a masters program, and develop networking skills. I aspire to learn the edict of each category of professional writing so I can not only engage in this community but become part of it.