SEARCH

Blogroll

Events

June 2014
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  

June 8th: LLED 565H: Advanced Academic Writing for Education Researchers

Summer Term 2a, 2014 (Jul 2 to 18)

M-F, 11:30 to 2:30 in PON E 121

In this advanced writing course, we focus on the connection between the forms academic texts typically take and the scholarly cultures that produce them. You will learn more about writing conventions in your own fields of study (e.g., When is it acceptable to use “I” in my papers? How far do I go in making practical recommendations in my conclusion?). Just as importantly, you will learn more about what these conventions signal in terms of researchers’ beliefs about knowledge making and their orientations to practice and policy.

By the end of this course you will

–       –  be familiar with typical formal features of academic writing broadly and in your own field, as well as with the academic cultures that produce (and are, in part, reproduced through) these features

–        – be acquainted with several methods and analytic approaches commonly used in socio-cultural studies of writing (and which you can, of course, apply to examine writing in other, non-scholarly settings, as well)

–        – have had the opportunity to use one or more of these methods/approaches in a small-scale research project of your own (the project will focus on an aspect of your field of study and related written discursive practices)

–        – have numerous opportunities to receive feedback on your writing from both peers and the instructor