We respectfully acknowledge that our work at UBC takes place on the ancestral and unceded territory of the Musqueam people (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm).

This blogsite serves as a forum where EDST students and faculty can publicly share their research, provoke dialogue on topics in education, discuss student issues, and engage with others within the UBC community.

Hi there,

My name is Jessica Lussier, and I am EDST’s first blog editor. You can learn more about me in my full introduction post, but for now I’d like to share the call for the blog’s Editorial Board. 

Current EDST students are invited to apply by December 9th (deadline extended to the 16th!). Questions about the editorial board should be directed to: edstblog.editor@ubc.ca

“On Public Facing Scholarship” by Itamar Manoff (1/12/2023) by Blog Editor - Have you written a paper you are proud of? Are there aspects of your research you are excited to share with others? Do you want to learn how to communicate your work to a broader audience? This blog post will offer some tips and ideas on how to get your…
On Academic Blogging (and an Invitation for the New Year) (12/9/2022) by Blog Editor - Part 1 of the EDST Blog Writing Series: "On Academic Blogging" If you were to go back even a short time in history, the term "blogging" would elicit strange looks and confusion from those you talked to. Early models of the blog, dating back to 1994,  emphasized the personal, encouraging…
Introduction to Blog Editor and Call for Editorial Board (11/13/2022) by Blog Editor - Hi there, My name is Jessica Lussier, and I am EDST’s first blog editor. I joined the EDST community back in 2018 when I began my PhD. Since the pandemic began, I’ve missed being involved in the EDST community. As the blog editor I envision the blog as a forum where…
Reflections on UBC’s Masters of Education, Adult Learning & Education (4/21/2022) by EDST - Samantha Robinson As I approach graduation from the Masters of Education, Adult Learning & Education program at the University of British Columbia (UBC), I find myself in a moment of pause as I intentionally take time for reflection. What have I learned over the last two years in this program?…
Remembrance, Solidarity, and Community: Commemorating Professor Michael Marker (1951-2021) (2/14/2022) by EDST - André Elias Mazawi[*] “My work in the history of education has been like a Coast Salish canoe journey through time and space.” Michael Marker On December 23, 2020, around three weeks before Professor Michael Marker’s untimely passing on January 15, 2021, I emailed him to convey my good sentiments for…